Atom Ariel

Name
Reinis
Edit My Images
Yes
One of the craziest things ever to come from UK must be this phenomenal beast- Atom Ariel. This car is running a Honda's K20 Vtec 2.0 NA engine pumping out 250hp. Since the car weighs not much more than the driver you can imagine that driving this car feels like placing yourself on a rocket and igniting it and holding on it for the dear life. There were 2 more evil versions produced providing joys of 300 and 500bhp, but trust me 250bhp is more than any average Stig wannabe will need.

Full set here:
http://www.reinisbphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/atom-ariel.html
Thanks for looking

1)
035 by Reno_LV Photography, on Flickr

2)
062 by Reno_LV Photography, on Flickr

3)
130 by Reno_LV Photography, on Flickr

4)
Untitled-2 by Reno_LV Photography, on Flickr

5)
157 by Reno_LV Photography, on Flickr

6)
040 by Reno_LV Photography, on Flickr

No. 5 for me but all are very good well done

Number 5 for sure! I love shots like this. 1 and 2 the car blends in to the background a bit too much. 3 is nice but would have worked better with the seat tops in focus I reckon.

Begs to be shot at a track, but easier said than done!

Picture No. 4 brought back some memories... Back in the late 1980s I made hundreds of control PCBs for Lifeline rally car fire extinguishers.

Steve.

Thanks guys. Yeah Adrian, my first call was track 100%. Sadly in Northern Ireland it is a bit limited with 1 real track in it, so that was outta window. Then decided to just show off the mad british design and find a location full of lines, curves. I do agree it does blend in and I even did that more with the post production, but I hope with metalic paper print it could come up well, but we'll see. Thanks again all!

Not as quick as they look on track :eek:, are you kidding!? They are insane on track. I had the pleasure of a track day in the 300bhp version and it was amazingly quick, few cars come anywhere near.

Nice set of shot too imo. The car blends into the background a little too much on a few imo, a bit of back lighting to separate it would have helped.

Detail shots work very well

But no6 is killer - well done (y)

Thanks guys. I kinda have to agree about speed. I've driven GTR 35, been in a 700bhp+ drift cars, been on superbikes etc., and none of them give the fun factor and even speed sense as this did, and I definitely won't call it slow, and bare in mind this even isn't the 300bhp version. Thanks again for the feedback!

Drive an atom a few weeks ago on track and its just insane!

5 and 6 are the pics I like some of others background is too distracting

Not as quick as they look on track :eek:, are you kidding!? They are insane on track. I had the pleasure of a track day in the 300bhp version and it was amazingly quick, few cars come anywhere near.

Yes, may look quick but aren't when you compare lap times with what you could buy for the same or less money.

The Atom Cup costs between £ 63,000 to £ 84,000 including buying the car and a seasons racing. That is similar to the cost of buying a F3 Cup car and a full season's racing. F3 car has 210bhp.

To lap Brands Hatch Indy in 51 seconds, you could buy an Atom, or could buy a Formula Ford Zetec, with a standard Ford 130bhp 1800cc engine and do similar lap times, but the cost of the car ready to race is about £ 7,500, or if choose the F3 car for the same money as the Atom Cup series, you will be able to lap the 1.2 mile Indy circuit in under 44 seconds.

On a longer circuit such as Oulton Park, the Atom Cup car will do 1m51's whereas the cheap Formula Ford Zetec will in the 1m49's and the F3 car will be in the 1m33's - so over 20 seconds a lap faster.

Last edited:
^ those are single seat racers that arent road legal right? i wouldnt really be compare then then!

i think the fairer comparisons for similar road legal track cars would be the caterhams, bac mono's, lotuses etc...

Fair point I guess. But this is a road car, and can be used as such, and its a little more sociable (as in two seats).. I'd absolutely love a go in a single seater mind! Though I imagine I'd take some getting used to!

^ those are single seat racers that arent road legal right? i wouldnt really be compare then then!

i think the fairer comparisons for similar road legal track cars would be the caterhams, bac mono's, lotuses etc...

I was just commenting that in actual terms, an Atom whilst an exciting road car, doesn't make a quick track car if you consider what else you could buy for the same outlay.

Yes, the single seaters aren't road legal (but people have made them so), but are of similar weight and the engines are less powerful...

The lap times quoted were for race spec Atoms, so a degree of comparison.

People have made road legal Formula Fords as well...

If anyone is feeling flush, we have a 2007 F3 Car to hire for test days. You'll need to come for a seat fitting and have a National B licence. National A if you want to race it.

:eek: wow - and just out of interest, what would that set someone back? (I have a Nat B)

For a full days test, which is typically 4x 30 minute sessions, on good used tyres (having done 1 quali and 2 races), you're probably looking at about £ 2500 + VAT, which includes fuel, car rental and insurance (although there is an excess if you prang it). This includes a customised seat fitting made from two part foam which ideally needs to be done in advance to allow for it to be trimmed once cured.

The following drove this type of car (homologated from 2005 to 2007) on their way to F1: Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton, Paul di Resta, Romain Grosjean, Sebastian Buemi, Kamui Kobayashi, Adrian Sutil, Bruno Senna and Max Chilton. Susie Wolff also did and she is testing F1 at Silverstone this week.

PM me if you want any more info :)

Thanks guys. Yeah Adrian, my first call was track 100%. Sadly in Northern Ireland it is a bit limited with 1 real track in it, so that was outta window.

There is 3 "real" tracks in Northern Ireland. Nutts Corner, Bishopscourt and Kirkistown.

Number 6 would be my pick of that set.

I wouldn't classify 2 of them as tracks though, but that is a different story :)
Thanks.

I must admit I'd not heard of Nutts Corner. Google maps suggests an oval (bangers?), a kart circuit and something looking like a rallycross circuit - but the imagery isn't terribly good!

Nutts Corner isn't a bad circuit, bit short just. Used mostly for Karts, car sprints and motorbike races. Had a round of British rallycross last year too at it.

http://www.nuttscornercircuit.com/thecircuit.html

All the plans to extend it are not allowed due to noise complaints.

Thank you! :) 3 Strobes - 430 EXII with a mixture of ambient light - sunset in the image #5.
It actually was a hard car to shoot and decide on exposure - reflective chrome cage, carbon fiber pitch black wheels and white plastics. The smartest move would have been different exposures and layers and stitch together, but my tripod is useless so it had to be one shot exposure, it did take a while to set up the strobes the way I was happy with, but in the end I was happy with the shots as was the customer,sorry have no backstage video for this to show the position of strobes!

Really nice set of images...love No.5. Not interested in all the statistics. It looks good and goes fast.(y)

Back