Attaching a strap and tripod quick release plate

Edit My Images
No
I like to leave my tripod quick release plate connected to the camera so that it's quicker to use the tripod whenever I want but am also keen to upgrade from the standard strap that came with my camera.

I've been looking at the Black Rapid range (particularly the Curve Breathe) but they all seem to use the tripod screw thread.

Are there any options that allow both the strap and tripod plate to be left attached simultaneously? e.g. A plate that allows two accessories to be attached, or strap with a 'pass-through' thread for the tripod.

Do others just swap between strap and tripod plate - I quite like the 'security' of always having a strap attached that I can just grab.

I like to leave my tripod quick release plate connected to the camera so that it's quicker to use the tripod whenever I want but am also keen to upgrade from the standard strap that came with my camera.

I've been looking at the Black Rapid range (particularly the Curve Breathe) but they all seem to use the tripod screw thread.

Are there any options that allow both the strap and tripod plate to be left attached simultaneously? e.g. A plate that allows two accessories to be attached, or strap with a 'pass-through' thread for the tripod.

Do others just swap between strap and tripod plate - I quite like the 'security' of always having a strap attached that I can just grab.

You have not said which QR plate but BR AFAIK have a replacement screw for use with Manfrotto RC2 plate that allows both QR use and attaching the BR clip.

HTH

Blackrapid do a QR plate that is compatible with their under-hang type of strap:

http://www.blackrapid.com/Tripod-Plate-50

Thanks guys - I use a Three Legged Thing with the standard (arca-compatible) QR4 plate, which looks as though it may work with the replacement screw and if not then the Black Rapid tripod plate looks ideal.

Peak Design

Thanks guys - I use a Three Legged Thing with the standard (arca-compatible) QR4 plate, which looks as though it may work with the replacement screw and if not then the Black Rapid tripod plate looks ideal.

As your plate is an Arca Swiss type you could do what I have done.

I attached a Wimberly C-12 clamp to my BR strap and allows me to carry the camera as needed and detach it quickly to then attach it to my gimbal. NB I have an L-plate on the camera body and a lens plate on my 100-400mm lens foot.

Peak design Slide as said above, the strap is easily removed but the small connectors stay attached to the camera and one can be trapped under the tripod plate.
The strap can be quickly removed making it easier on the tripod.
It can be worn in different positions, just watch their YouTube video.
I looked at the Black Rapid one, but this made far more sense and I have been very happy with it.

As your plate is an Arca Swiss type you could do what I have done.

I attached a Wimberly C-12 clamp to my BR strap and allows me to carry the camera as needed and detach it quickly to then attach it to my gimbal. NB I have an L-plate on the camera body and a lens plate on my 100-400mm lens foot.

This for me too. 2 bodies both with L Brackets, 70-200 and 150-600 both with arca plates, ballhead and gimbal both with arca clamps and 1 black rapid strap with arca clamp fitted. It all just works.

I have a black rapid strap and was never a fan of the swivel and dome one point attachment ,.basically I cut off the carabiner clip ,bought a extra long Arca plate from China for £4.15 delivered, drilled a hole either end then attached plate to lens foot ,next bought two pairs of op.tech short quick lock clips threaded one side of each through holes in Arca plate ,the other ends to the oblong slide plate on strap ,click it together and you have a ultra quick carry strap that converts to a tripod mount in seconds .i carry a sigma 150-600 sport and canon 1Dmkiii body with ease swings up ready to shoot in seconds

Seems I like I have a lot more reading to do - I hadn't appreciated there were so many options :)
The Peak Design stuff sounds interesting if it's already compatible with the plate that I have but from a (very) quick search their strap looks fairly 'basic'. The thing that drew me to Black Rapid was that it looked as though I could hang the camera comfortably at my side without it rolling around my waist/back as I move around and then it has plenty of movement to use comfortably when shooting.
I'm just a hobbyist that is fed up with the default Canon strap and want the convenience of having the strap and plate mounted at the same time and so don't need to be too fancy and am happy to take some compromise.

Thanks again for all the input - off to go and Google and watch Youtube videos.

The thing that drew me to Black Rapid was that it looked as though II could hang the camera comfortably at my side without it rolling around my waist/back as I move around and then it has plenty of movement to use comfortably when shooting

My Peak Design strap works similarly - I've not found it short of function - certainly not basic. (I've read of more 'accidents' with BR than PD - but that may be because there are more BRs around)

Peak design for me too, I have the Slide as a long strap so it goes diagonally across my body for more comfort/security, and the clutch as well.
Very good design and I don't have to remove the base to use with a tripod as the do an additional base that will fit manfrotto

I'm going to be going for a Peak Design Slide. Heard nothing but good things about them.

This for me too. 2 bodies both with L Brackets, 70-200 and 150-600 both with arca plates, ballhead and gimbal both with arca clamps and 1 black rapid strap with arca clamp fitted. It all just works.

Me too.

It's the best solution I have found. Arca swiss clamps are so cheap on amazon now that all my tripods, monopods, straps etc have them. Just much easier and works really well.

My Peak Design strap works similarly - I've not found it short of function - certainly not basic. (I've read of more 'accidents' with BR than PD - but that may be because there are more BRs around)

Thanks - will have a serious look at the Peak Design!

If you use anything other than a arca mount, you'll need the pro plate to fit other tripod mounts. It's about £22

Had a play with the strap last night and have a query on the 'quick adjusters'.
Should the strap be locked in place when the U-shaped grip is clipped flush to the strap?
Or is this just to make the adjustment easier?
The strap seems solid and doesn't move if I pull against the camera but if I hold the buckle then I can adjust the strap whilst the grip is clipped flush.

Had a play with the strap last night and have a query on the 'quick adjusters'.
Should the strap be locked in place when the U-shaped grip is clipped flush to the strap?
Or is this just to make the adjustment easier?
The strap seems solid and doesn't move if I pull against the camera but if I hold the buckle then I can adjust the strap whilst the grip is clipped flush.

Just tried mine - I agree it moves slightly if you tug at the buckle but I noticed in doing that it disturbs the angle of buckle to strap - the same as when you use the "slide"

I have one, as does Mrs. Chuckles; neither of us have noticed even the slightest of movements when in use with our cameras. I've walked miles with mine with no problem - even with the mighty, and hefty, 200-500.

Last edited:
Just tried mine - I agree it moves slightly if you tug at the buckle but I noticed in doing that it disturbs the angle of buckle to strap - the same as when you use the "slide"

I have one, as does Mrs. Chuckles; neither of us have noticed even the slightest of movements when in use with our cameras. I've walked miles with mine with no problem - even with the mighty, and hefty, 200-500.

Thanks - don't think it's a concern or problem and still very pleased with it just checking that it's functioning as intended :)

can I ask those with the peak design strap about hanging a heavy camera and more important a heavy lens on the strap. My concern is that it puts a strain on the connection between the camera and lens which is not a good idea if left to hang down by the side . Ie nikon D810 and a nikon 70-200mm lens or bigger total weight in excess of 5lb without grip

Any thoughts on my concern please

Last edited:
can I ask those with the peak design strap about hanging a heavy camera and more important a heavy lens on the strap. My concern is that it puts a strain on the connection between the camera and lens which is not a good idea if left to hang down by the side . Ie nikon D810 and a nikon 70-200mm lens or bigger total weight in excess of 5lb without grip

I use my strap (black rapid) with a 70-200 and 150-600 but attach the strap to the lens foot in this case instead of the camera body. I didn't think it was a good idea to let such a heavy lens hang from the body by just the lens mount.

Thanks for the reply Phil, that is what I was wondering was the best method

I had never really considered that before tbh, I have a 70-200 2.8 and D500 and only use the Arca plate....going to consider adding a PD loop onto the foot and see how it sits on my shoulder now....

Back