Attemping HDR

jsy

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Having been toying with HDR, any tips please? :)
showphoto.php
[/url]

[/IMG]

I think it really comes down to the look you wish to achieve. The first couple of your shots (to me anyway) are obvious hdr. The last one is not so noticeable. I think it is all about spending time moving the sliders about to see the different effects that suit your needs.

Hi, IMO I feel that the images are a little overdone and just don't look realistic, also I find the problem with HDR images with clouds that the clouds do not look real. Now no expert but would suggest that you keep the lower part of the images and replace the top part with the one shot that is metered correctly in the 3 or 5 shots used in the makeup of the HDR, you can always brighten or darken that one image to suit the lower HDR part, hope this makes sence. As I say OMO.

Nice set of shots Alan, I think they are all good and not over done at all,

I like the compositions on the first 2, 3rd I can see if you shifted a bit either way you wouldnt have got the reflection as well as you have, so not much can be done about it being central.

Dave

Many thanks for the comments, I guess its one of those marmite situations..

Hi, IMO I feel that the images are a little overdone and just don't look realistic, also I find the problem with HDR images with clouds that the clouds do not look real. Now no expert but would suggest that you keep the lower part of the images and replace the top part with the one shot that is metered correctly in the 3 or 5 shots used in the makeup of the HDR, you can always brighten or darken that one image to suit the lower HDR part, hope this makes sence. As I say OMO.

Whilst i can see these are HDR, its not the sky giving it away for me, in-fact the skies look pretty realistic!

You've certainly grasped the technique, and I prefer no.2 of the set, nice composition.
As to weather this is the most effective processing for these shots I don't know, I suggest you try a few versions of each with varying "harshness" of HDR.

No3 in particular is very lightly treated and works well but i think the first isn't quite there yet.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with HDR, though prefer images that aren't obvious (unless it is for effect). I like all three of these but as far as the HDR goes the order would be 3, 2, 1.

i play with hdr and ruin a shot which is within the realms of 'normal' pp
i do ask myself why i even bother
but there is a quality to hdr even when its not too successful which marks a shot as individual and worth a second look
all these are such
with no 3 the best...and most photogenic as well as pp wise

Back