Critique Attempted Rescue

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello again. I recently went on a Photography Refresher Course, which has helped me quite a lot. Amongst the project photos taken was this one of a churchyard gate. Since returning from the course I decided to have a 'play' with some of them in Picasa. I would really appreciate some critique and opinions. Particularly as to which of these works the best. Thank you. View attachment 39323 View attachment 39322

Hi Nicholas,

How would I know they are church yard gates? no grave stones or parts of a church showing. The vignette is wrong due to the crop you have done. Exposure/contrast is wrong, chains on the right are just black. They both work the same, just one is sepia toned, makes now difference to a monochrome image. Just my 2p's worth, others may have different opions.
Pete

Following on from Pete, with whom I agree, the importance of this image lies in showing the surface corrosion of the iron post and chain. I am afraid that this image does not do the subject justice, it has a limited range of tones and seems to be out of focus.

Thanks for the feedback - it is obviously a lot worse than I thought it was originally! The exposure and composition faults I can understand; not enough care taken on these shots. The focus part is the area that I am really struggling with at the moment. I'm using auto focus - single point and according to the viewfinder shot is in focus when I take the shot. I've tried turning the beep on so that I have an audio indication as well as a visual one. Other than using a tripod 100% of the time, I'm not sure what else to try. Picked the wrong hobby for my retirement perhaps!

Nicholas, you are never too old for photography you just have to adapt what you do to be within your range of abilities. I cannot hold a camera so, until recently, I used a tripod. My recommendation is don't be too ambitious to start with and gradually extend what you do as you become more familiar with your camera.

Thanks Norman, I appreciate your comments. I'm just trying to get used to the fact that I have got to start all over again. I have problems carrying a tripod around at the moment, but I have read very mixed reviews on light weight ones; maybe I'll have to think along those lines next. Appreciate your reply, thanks again. Nick

not really sharp enough for that oooomph which graphics need
but i would moot doing it in black to white
take it again if not far away...and use your manual focus

Thanks for the feedback - it is obviously a lot worse than I thought it was originally! The exposure and composition faults I can understand; not enough care taken on these shots. The focus part is the area that I am really struggling with at the moment. I'm using auto focus - single point and according to the viewfinder shot is in focus when I take the shot. I've tried turning the beep on so that I have an audio indication as well as a visual one. Other than using a tripod 100% of the time, I'm not sure what else to try. Picked the wrong hobby for my retirement perhaps!
Maybe your shutter speed is too low?

What ISO and aperture are you using?

Don't think you need to lug a tripod around with you, I only use tripods when shooting at night :)

Thanks, Geof and Jim. We were taking photos within set parameters - this one was taken 1/2000 ISO 400 Aperture 5.6 - using Auto Focus. Sadly though, early stages of arthritis is not helping with staying steady! I've tried a Monopod with varied results. I am now considering a lightweight tripod, if I can find an inexpensive one. I will probably post in the equipment forum for recommendations. Thanks again to both of you for your comments. Nick

At 1/2000th second shutter speed I would not expect you to be suffering from camera shake. It is more likely that the lens isn't focusing properly, probably front focusing. Which lens/camera combination are you using for this?

Nikon D7000 - Tamron 18-270mm set on 60mm. Sorry but I gave you wrong info, it was only 1/250th shutter speed.

Even at 1/250th I would expect it to be sharp at that focal length. Do you have any other photos you can compare it with (both with the same lens and a different one).

The d7k had focus issues! Mine were all out when I had mine

Back