Attempting to standardise mounts

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know if this is a common problem, but I've got a number of different devices, all with different mounts, and to be honest, it's getting a bit tiresome having to keep swapping the mounting plates about to use my kit.

I'll focus on my main kit, as the other stuff I can deal with:

• Hahnel Triad 40
  • Joby GorillaPod
  • Peak Design Capture Pro
I have no idea what the Hahnel mount is if I'm honest. The Joby has its own arrow like clip and I can get an Arca/Manfrotto adapter for my Capture Pro.

Unless anyone can advise otherwise, it seems the best solution to my problem would be to sell my Triad 40 and replace it with an equivalent Manfrotto tripod as the Hahnel doesn't have interchangeable heads. The only issue I can see though, is that something like the Compact Action doesn't use the Manfrotto base plates, and uses a circular quick release plate.

This then brings me onto the Gorilla Pod, finding a compatible head seems to be limited

Has anyone got any suggestions or tips as to how they've handled this scenario?

EDIT: Just found this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-3...=1453914257&sr=8-4&keywords=Manfrotto+adapter

Im assuming I can just screw these onto my existing mounts, fix a manfrotto base plate to my camera and I'm good to go?

Last edited:
Yup, that Manfrotto adaptor simply screws onto the tripod's (or the "old" QR plate's) screw and allows the Manfrotto QR plate to be used. I have converted all my supports to the RC2 style Manfrotto system using eithet those plates or by replacing the heads. There are better systems out there but since I had several tripods/heads and QR plates in the Manfrotto system, it made more sense for me to stick with that!

I guess the only fly in the ointment is if you ever plan to buy a gimbal head as these invariably are set up for Arca Swiss plates. I had a mix myself but got fed up with having the wrong plate on a lens when I wanted to use it so eventually decided to standardise with Arca Swiss. It's definitely easier with one system whatever that may be.

I guess the only fly in the ointment is if you ever plan to buy a gimbal head as these invariably are set up for Arca Swiss plates. I had a mix myself but got fed up with having the wrong plate on a lens when I wanted to use it so eventually decided to standardise with Arca Swiss. It's definitely easier with one system whatever that may be.

Yeah I am fully area compatible now.. I'm not sure Op would find anything suitable for the Joby tho.

Arca swiss is the most prominent/cross compatible system there is. Your Hanel 40 is Arca Swiss compatible, and you can adapt the Peak. Personally, I would replace/upgrade the Joby and go with Arca Swiss.

The answer is to only ever buy one style fitting, or only items where the mount and plate are removable and replaceable.
I have settled on Manfrotto, most have perhaps chosen Arca Swiss. Though there are thousands of alternative makers of components for both systems. and most equally good.

Be a bit wary of super cheap plates - Dad had a Chinese one under an expensive pair of binoculars and when he tried to tighten the QR lever, the QR plate disintegrated. Luckily he had hold of the binos, otherwise they would have fallen. It was the first time he had used the plate. Luckily, I was there with my camera bag so gave him a genuine Manfrotto one. He described the cheap one as being made of "s***metal", his name for Mazak/Zamak.

I had this issue myself and simply changed to arca-swiss mounts, this had the added benefit of some camera's now coming with battery grips/baseplates that are arca-swiss compatible negating the need for a screw on plate altogether.
There are some very good arca-swiss ball heads out there now but if you prefer to keep your current kit then adaptor plates can be used to convert your current tripod heads

arca swiss is the best mount imo, given you can have a really long plate for a telephoto lens, and also a really short plate for a csc with nothing sticking out, while manfrotto you cant. and they have 3? different plates.

Back