Attoo Flypasts

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's an interesting wee snippit I pick up from one of the Fighter Forums.
The RAF will be doing a nightly flypast at the Edinburgh Tattoo throughout August. The nine oclock ones might be a bit late for available light but I'll certainly find myself up Calton Hill for the 1930 ones on Sat nights.
Hopefully they will be passing right over our house eith on the approach or afterwards. Test flight is 2130 tonight.

The Tattoo flypasts will be conducted by Scottish Based aircraft only - Tornado F3, Tornado GR4 and Nimrod apart from the RAF Scampton based RAF Aerobatic Team The Red Arrows and they will fly on the 14th and the 18th - I believe the Reds might be at Prestwick on the 16th also for Galloway Country Fair but don't shoot the messenger
Mon - Fri Flypasts are at 2100 and Saturdays at 1930 - for one day only and that is Thursday 6th Aug the flypast will be at 2130 - practice day! Tattoo dates Friday 7th until Sat 29th August inclusive.

Last edited:
ahh this might explain why i could see and hear some planes from RAF leuchers over where i live at about 9 last nite,

It were a pair of Tornados last night. I impressed the hell out of the neighbours by popping out the front door with the big ol zoom on about 1 minute before they arrived :)

The Tornados fly low near me sometimes (one crashed at the rest and be thankful just up the road recently) and the noise they make is terrifying.

Awww poo. I popped out to have a look tonight, it was really ****** weather n quite dark so I didn't bother with the camera. It was a VC10 flanked by a pair of Tornados. It looked pretty bloody impressive *** they took a different flight line and went behind the house this time.

was meant to be a 4 ship + VC-10 tonight but 2nd pair (Tornado F.3s ZE342 & ZE200, Scimitar 23 flight) failed to formate with Ascot 857 (VC-10K3 ZA147)

Last edited:
The wind and a lot of lose ballons over the castle might of called off the flyby. Hope to get down to Princes Street(?) one night to get them flying over the castle.

They don't flynon a Sunday. That's the tattoos day off. Trouble is on week days, nine pm is getting a bit late for decent light. I can just about get something decent on my 100-400 with the IS turned on and the iso pushed up a bit.
Saturday is the best bet as they fly after the earlier first show at 1930.
Anyone know what went by yesterday (Saturday) as I was away and missed it.

There seems to be 3 flyby a night. Between 6:30 and 9:30. Not been able to figure out the right time as I get stuck in shows. I am not able to get to princes street to get the photos I want to try for as I got £75 of show tickets going to waste if I do try. Also not able to take cameras into shows so no trying to catch a fly by in between them. :((

So are they flying tonight?

As far as I know from being in the shows its every night the Tattoos on as its part of the event. just the timing might change slightly. And Iam back home in Wales now :(.

there was a VC.10 in @ Leuchars today so it might be that this evening.

theres 2 or 3 fly bys by different aircraft seen the vc 10 and a tornado in one night. no bloody camera due to show rules

must have changed them since last year - I got my A700+Vg+100-300/4 in no problem then.

Back