Auction web site

You do know it's a scam, don't you?

It works on the premise that you "buy" bids from them and you are allowed to win one auction per month :cautious:

They're not a scam, because they do actually work. You just need to know when to stop bidding, as bids cost a £1 or something like that. They are under a lot of scrutiny though. I remember seeing a news report on these sites and one dude had won a mini cooper and he only spent £13 in bids. So they do work, but some people get addicted and end up spending a fortune on failed bids.

Probably best to leave them alone in all honesty.

Of course it's a scam, they extend the auction if more than one person is bidding on it when it is due to finish. You have no way of knowing when the auction will actually end so if you want the item you have to keep bidding, which then extends the auction again.

In effect what it is unregulated gambling, the only real winner is the auction house.

What a brilliant idea for relieving folk of their money!!!

I'd suggest to all those who haven't heard of swoopo to do a google search....all the info you will ever need is there.

It's not a scam however it is gambling (not an auction by any stretch of the imagination).

I've never heard of these, but what a scam!

I'm watching this:

http://www.swoopo.co.uk/auction/apple-ipod-touch-8-gb-new-generation-/131494.html

It gets down a couple of seconds, then the clock resets..

Yeah, that one's at £48 at 10.20 Saturday morning with a long way to go... so by my reckoning they'll have already taken £240 worth of 40p bids on that one with a looooong way to go. By the time it gets to £100, they'll have coined in £500 worth of 'bids' on an item which they themselves say is worth only £169... and it'll probably go a lot higher! You're much better off with a long punt on the gee gee's!

Have lots of these websites in Finland... over here the bidding time is 2 minutes or so. And you can only raise the price by 1 Euro cent every two minutes... if there are no bids in the following two minutes. You have won.. if there are bids.. another two minutes to the clock.
Lots of articles in the papers about these as well, not illegal as such. But def. not my way of trying to buy stuff.
I think here they even sell new cars on these sites, they seem to go for couple of thousand euros or so.
Good luck if you choose to bid on these... say what you want bout Ebay, at least there it's a bit more open and in the view.

Back