Audi R8 Spyder - new images added

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
*** New images added below 21/06 ***

This R8 Spyder got delivered to my old man's office on Monday so I snuck off with the keys and took it out for a blast. Just enough room under the bonnet for a tripod and some light painting gear so I figured it'd be rude not to snap it - even though it could have done with a clean after a couple of hundred heavy-footed miles :naughty:

Images are all clickable for flickr pages with more info

Starting to get light :)

Heading home a few minutes before sunrise for a bit of kip I noticed this simple location and shot with ambient light only

Hoping to get out in it again this weekend - first stop jetwash - for a full set including detail shots

Last edited:
What a superb set of shots..

Makes your CC's EVEN MORE valid in my own thread with the MINI. :)

The second shot is INSANE. I love it. Can I ask what the method was here? Of course you had the camera mounted. What kind of kit and setup was it?

Lucky ***** *** *** ********* *** ** **** ** ******

I Need a wide angle in my life, great car and great shots :D

Thanks for the +ve feedback.

Trappe - drove the V8 but the V10 and esp the Spyder is a noticeable leap in performance.

What a superb set of shots..

Makes your CC's EVEN MORE valid in my own thread with the MINI. :)

The second shot is INSANE. I love it. Can I ask what the method was here? Of course you had the camera mounted. What kind of kit and setup was it?

One of the areas I shoot most is driving/ motion - it's what got me into long exposures and light painting.

This shot used a Delkin Fat Gecko mounted on the car's rear deck and the lens was the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye (kindly on loan from //deanphoto (you should check out his automotive work when you get a moment - different league altogether).

I knew the bit of road I wanted to use and manually calculated the exposure whilst stationary. Then set the camera on interval timer and drove to the next layby - this was about the 5th shot from a sequence of 8.

If this appeals you might want to browse my flickr sets from the Delkin Fat Gecko and my other driving shots.

just spotted number 2 on flickr and thought i recognised the username!
Great set, i love number 1 and number 3 could have come straight out of the brochure

Well having contributed appx £550 to the economy (500 on fuel and 50 on snacks for all the driving) the R8's now gone back to Audi. Not before a farewell blast, mind you, and a chance to add a few detail shots to the set I started.

All images were lightpainted on location c3am Sunday

All LED headlamps - expensive option but awesome light
4717639107_0e1dd4c9a0_b.jpg

No point going fast if you can't stop
4717639425_3caaa606ee_b.jpg

And breathe
4717639645_b51fb43c33_b.jpg

Cash vacuum
4717638251_23ecd191b6.jpg

Additional downforce
4719934767_67459fe359_b.jpg

Stop!
4718282660_b6f7980141.jpg

Stay under 70 and you only need first and second; needless to say I used all six
4717638805_389348a917_b.jpg

Someone went to town on the spec - B&O sounds and carbon throughout
4717638031_aea6c40fca.jpg

Very nice shots, I prefer the detail shots to the main ones though, I think some of the impact has been lost in the darkness on #1 and the bench in #3 I'm finding quite distracting. I'm not sure what time you shot #1 but I feel that it could do with the light from #3?

The Intake, Fuel cap & Speaker pod are just lush though.

Very nice shots, I prefer the detail shots to the main ones though, I think some of the impact has been lost in the darkness on #1 and the bench in #3 I'm finding quite distracting. I'm not sure what time you shot #1 but I feel that it could do with the light from #3?

The Intake, Fuel cap & Speaker pod are just lush though.

Interesting point you make Rob, general reaction is that 1 & 3 appeal to different audiences with the car photographers voting #3 and the car owners/ night photographers choosing #1

There was about two hours between them, the later one being shot at 5am. My own view is that lightpainting is all about contrast and drama and the shots deliver that but I do accept they're not to all tastes and the contrast can sometimes be too great from a technical rather than artistic PoV.

Wow. Just wow. I was lucky enough to drive the R8 Spyder round Millbrook's high speed bowl at the end of the May and it's an amazing car.

These pics, though, are breath-taking, I photograph the cars for the mags I write for and these show just how much I've got to learn.

Beautiful set, thanks for sharing them.

#4 and #5 are breath taking Andrew, I do feel that #1 in the new set could have done with a splash of light on top to save it from being lost in the darkness, just IMO of course

out of Interest how are you getting the light like that? Trade secret or some form of torch/diffuser setup?

Wow. Just wow. I was lucky enough to drive the R8 Spyder round Millbrook's high speed bowl at the end of the May and it's an amazing car.

These pics, though, are breath-taking, I photograph the cars for the mags I write for and these show just how much I've got to learn.

Beautiful set, thanks for sharing them.

Thanks. Yeah, R8 was *the* in-demand car at SMMT day.

#4 and #5 are breath taking Andrew, I do feel that #1 in the new set could have done with a splash of light on top to save it from being lost in the darkness, just IMO of course

out of Interest how are you getting the light like that? Trade secret or some form of torch/diffuser setup?

You're right about the light but the other drivers on this surprisingly-busy-at-3am road were unsympathetic to my needs and I had to move the tripod before I had chance to complete the lighting.

Light source: continuous, diffused. That's all for now ;)

Well having contributed appx £550 to the economy (500 on fuel and 50 on snacks for all the driving) the R8's now gone back to Audi.

How come it went back?! :thumbsdown:

I thought when you said it arrived at the office you had bought it!

Excellent shots, worthy of being in the Audi brochure.

My neighbough has just bought one of these, but in black. Awesome cars!

Fantastic set of shots, you have such a great talent, well done.

Clarke

Very nice shots.

I think the first one is a tad too dark for my liking though.

The detail shots are alot better and the lighting is really nice. I think I know what your using for those but will keep quiet :)

Back