Audi R8

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone..

Something completely different for me here.

Now, I love this photo but a few photos I like have been absolutely slated elsewhere.

Looking for some help with this and of course some critique... There are a few elements which are very love / hate..

The original photo perhaps show you what I have done.

Majorly, the photo is out of focus.. So it's never going to be perfect.

Thanks for taking the time.

Marty

TalkPa by Martyboy84, on Flickr

TalkPb by Martyboy84, on Flickr

Hi Martin,

It's a nice shot, but I can't help but think that the sky is far too over exposed. I would personally use something like a gradient filter to darken the skies and prevent it from being over exposed.

The combination of the over-exposed skies and the fence just was a bad combination. If you look at the original bottom shot, the fence just appears to be in floating bits. So yeah - I would use a gradient filter to darken those skies :).

Hope it helps :)
Thanks.

Last edited:
It's out by the airport and picked purely because of how it looked.

The sky is horribly blown. Normally I shoot what I want to edit, I don't rely on much editing. I'm trying to self teach myself how to edit in a way that's not going to far.

If you have any tips on getting a balanced exposure on the sky in my shots, I would greatly appreciate it. Most of the shots in this set, the sky is blown. I was only allowed one location and a very short period of time - not an excuse of course.

The lens flare has been boosted and I even added a little more - again, the effect I was going for :)

Thanks all!!!

Oh and sorry, John - I actually used the gradient filter in PS for a few of the other shots, but I need to practice seriously with it as It never came out well. Thanks for your input. I'll have a look again.

It's out by the airport and picked purely because of how it looked.

The sky is horribly blown. Normally I shoot what I want to edit, I don't rely on much editing. I'm trying to self teach myself how to edit in a way that's not going to far.

If you have any tips on getting a balanced exposure on the sky in my shots, I would greatly appreciate it. Most of the shots in this set, the sky is blown. I was only allowed one location and a very short period of time - not an excuse of course.

The lens flare has been boosted and I even added a little more - again, the effect I was going for :)

Thanks all!!!

Martin,

You can get yourself some gradient filters off places like eBay for some really cheap prices - I have a cheap set I got off there and works a treat.

Basically, it is a gradient filter that goes infront of your lens, and the top half of it is dark so it darkens the sky and the bottom half is clear. So when you take the shot, both the sky and the subject are equally exposed.

Here's a picture I found on google of it:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4087/5199486872_5202842cb0_z.jpg

;) hope it helps.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Of course!

I'm always using my polarising filters, so this will be added to my list.

(y)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Of course!

I'm always using my polarising filters, so this will be added to my list.

(y)

They work a treat :). Also the problem you have with virtual gradient filters in photoshop is that once you over-expose, you can never go back down. So really if you're going to under-expose or over-expose, it's always better to under-expose because you can normally repair it. :). Also if you can, shoot in raw because that way you have more chances of being able to repair things than with JPEGs ;).

Yep you needed to come in close, the fence detracts greatly..

If you had come in half the probs wouldn't even be there!

Yep you needed to come in close, the fence detracts greatly..

If you had come in half the probs wouldn't even be there!

I have several variants of this shot, closer, far away, high, low etc. They are covered!

Cheers for the input!

Will this work.. (copied link from FB)

992986_545397158840313_1300147925_n.jpg

Certainly better as it has more impact!

Really like the processing on #1 and don't mind the flare, but it's the fence that really detracts for me I'm afraid.

The problem here is that the originals are shot in really poor lighting.. and have horribly over exposed skies, and then you're trying to rescue them in post processing.

Fix your lighting, not your processing.

There's too much contrast between sky and foreground because you're shooting into the light without understanding the limitations of doing so, and what you need to be doing in that situation. Reshoot it again in lower contrast light. Read and learn about lighting, contrast, and how to use it. Tons of books and tutorials either on here, or recommended on here.

Location is terrible. You're shooting an R8... think about what that car represents... it's style.. who it appeals to. It's an aspirational product.. place it in a set that speaks of the same values... not park in front of an ugly wire fence.

Photography is NOT about post processing. Forget about post processing until you've got a batter idea of lighting, and location. It simply will not help you, and hasn't helped you here either. The original is poor, and the processed version is a processed version of a poor photograph... but it's still as poor.

False lens flares look exactly like false lens flares BTW.

Above everything else... stop turning to post processing to improve your photography. It won't improve your photography. It may improve your post processing... but are you a photographer, or a Mac Monkey?

Have you seen my other photos. :s. I hardy touch my images.

I didn't get to pick the location. It's an airport and where I was ask toshoot. In that exact spot.

The lighting wasn't ideal but I managed some epic shots and some duds.

The lads chuffed and I'm happy with the others. This one was edited in this kind of mad style intentionally.

Cheers for the feedback.

Last edited:
Can we see the epic ones?

Much like musical taste, one persons anthem is anothers worst nightmare.
Tried to post by from a phone it's a nightmare. Will do it tonight.

Last edited:
I don't normally bite to such blatant disguised pre-abuse and of course there is no real reason for you to want to see these unless I've misread...

I have to be honest here, Martin, but nothing whatsoever that's been said here is abuse, it's just an honest appraisal of your images which surely is why you posted them in the 'critique' section of the forum. Pookeyhead may not make any attempt to 'tone down' the way he expressed his opinions (which personally I think he should at times because being so brutally blunt doesn't always help in getting a point across) but he's absolutely spot on with everything he says. It's in your best interests as a photographer to take on board his points, even if you didn't like how they came across.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to be asked to show the "epic" images. I know you won't want to hear this from your reaction to Pookeyhead but those images aren't epic; as before the location leaves a lot to be desired and I find the slant in the first one very distracting as it makes an already questionable composition even more confusing. The second looks like you've exposed so you don't blow out the sky behind but in doing so you've massively underexposed the car; the car which is your subject and should show clearly rather than being a big dark blob occupying the bottom bit of the frame! Find a location where you're not shooting into a bright sky, your exposure will be able to be much more balanced, especially when shooting a black car.

Like I said, unless I've misread....

The second image the sun was close to setting, which was what we were looking at, especially with the planes coming in.

If I had picked the locations, this would have perhaps been one of a few.

I have absolutely no issue with feedback good or bad, but if your suggesting "Can we see the epic ones?" is written without sarcasm.. Then I'm not sure I agree!

The original picture was posted as an individual piece, not as part of a set or relation to anything else, solely on the daft editing. Not after any advice on the additional photos.

Cheers

The second image the sun was close to setting, which was what we were looking at, especially with the planes coming in.

Why is the car there then if you're taking a photo of the sunset and why did you shoot it through a fence? The plane is way in the background, if anything it's distracting rather than adding to the composition. If you're taking a photo of the car then make that your subject, if you're taking a photo of the sunset then make that your subject. Both here just looks messy.

I have absolutely no issue with feedback good or bad, but if your suggesting "Can we see the epic ones?" is written without sarcasm.. Then I'm not sure I agree!

I don't think it was written without sarcasm, I know it was. There wasn't even a hint of sarcasm, he just wanted to see the photos you described as "epic" and implied were better than the originals you posted. Exactly the reason I wanted to see them.

The original picture was posted as an individual piece, not as part of a set or relation to anything else, solely on the daft editing.

That's fine, but they simply don't work. I can't imagine any serious photographer in the world who genuinely understands light saying you've chosen a great location and captured it well. The old musical taste analogy doesn't work here, they're poorly considered and poorly executed images. It's that simple.

I realise I'm being quite blunt myself here but to be honest you're kind of asking for it. If you post images in the critique bit of the forum you have to be prepared to deal with whatever people throw at you whether you like it or not. My personal advice would be listen to what's been said because it will improve your images, surely that can only be a good thing?

One of the rules I try to follow is having the sun behind you, it's common sense...

No real creative freedom, so I tried to work with what was there. As mentioned earlier I might try and pick up a grad filter to help slightly.

Any advice regarding exposure etc I will happily soak up as it's something I haven't really had to worry about on any of my other shots.

I put myself in these situations to learn from them.

If you check any of my other threads, feedback is always welcome!

If I knew how to work this thing I'd quote you.

I never said the first shot was good, it's not even in focus - as I stated. I didn't pick the location. I worked with what was there. Just because I like it, doesn't really matter. I was wanting some feedback and hints on how to make future similar situations which I got.

That being said, I'll have to disagree with you about the second photos. I like the angle and I like the plane in the back ground!

I didn't pick the location.

If there's one thing you can take away from this maybe it's that a little planning goes a long way. Why not find a place you'd really like to shoot the car (not against a horrible looking airport fence), do a bit of research into where the sun will be and choose a time of day that's appropriate? If you want a subtle, understated look then try in the morning or evening when the light's more gentle. If you want a more aggressive, edgy look then maybe a black and white high contrast shot in bright daylight might work better. Either way, think about what you're trying to achieve beforehand rather than just plonking the car anywhere and thinking 'that'll do'. The chances are it won't do, not by a long way.

I never said the first shot was good, it's not even in focus - as I stated.

But you still posted it so you have to be willing to accept people's opinions on it. That's how this section of the forum works.

If you check any of my other threads, feedback is always welcome!

After this thread I'm not too convinced of that! :LOL:

I'll have to disagree with you about the second photos. I like the angle and I like the plane in the back ground!

That's your opinion and you're absolutely entitled to it but again you posted in the critique section. You can't ask people to critique your work and then tell them you disagree, it doesn't work like that. Take on board whichever bits of advice you want but don't disagree with people giving their opinions. If anything it's impolite to those who've taken the time to respond.

If I knew how to work this thing I'd quote you.

Just hit the Quote button in the bottom right of the post and it will appear in the comment entry field below with appropriate tags to make it appear as a quote in the reply. If you're just responding to a specific bit of a reply then edit out the irrelevant bits rather than quoting the entire thing. :)

Last edited:

I don't care if you agree. You said the others were epic.. I wanted to see them. What's sarcastic about that?

You aren't reacting to the crit you're receiving very well. If you don't want honest crit. Don't post your images up and ask people to let you know what they think.
Like I said, unless I've misread....

Which, unless you know how to supplement the lighting to reduce contrast, was a really bad idea.

You're just arguing with anyone who doesn't like your images. it seems to me. I wouldn't ask for crit any more.. unless it's from friends of family.

Last edited:
If there's one thing you can take away from this maybe it's that a little planning goes a long way. Why not find a place you'd really like to shoot the car (not against a horrible looking airport fence), do a bit of research into where the sun will be and choose a time of day that's appropriate? If you want a subtle, understated look then try in the morning or evening when the light's more gentle. If you want a more aggressive, edgy look then maybe a black and white high contrast shot in bright daylight might work better. Either way, think about what you're trying to achieve beforehand rather than just plonking the car anywhere and thinking 'that'll do'. The chances are it won't do, not by a long way..

Picture the scene.. It's half 3 on a wednesday (I think)...

Him - "Mate, you free for an hour tonight"...
Me - "Ehhh, aye"
Him - "Need some shots of the R8, I'll come get you from work"
Me - "Ok, what you after exactly"
Him - "It's cool, I have the location"
Me - "You sure, where?"
Him - "Airport, you can see the planes coming in and it looks epic with the old fence"
Me - "You sure, you don't fancy something else as well, I could suggest a few place?".
Him - "No definitely not mate, just want some at this place, cheers".

Pretty much that exact convo.

It's a pal so I just did it!

If I showed you guys the "favourite" picture you would be sick.

Me - "Ehhh, aye"
Me - "You sure, where?"
Him - "Airport, you can see the planes coming in and it looks epic with the old fence"
Me - "You sure, you don't fancy something else as well, I could suggest a few place?".

So if you know the location, timing, and lighting are crap.. why are you arguing with those who are just telling you what you already know?

I don't care if you agree. You said the others were epic.. I wanted to see them. What's sarcastic about that?

You aren't reacting to the crit you're receiving very well. If you don't want honest crit. Don't post your images up and ask people to let you know what they think.

Which, unless you know how to supplement the lighting to reduce contrast, was a really bad idea.

I never asked if you care, I couldn't give a flying monkeys sack either, I was talking to the other chap.

That's you on my ignore list. I hope you manage to eventually obtain the skill to go with your attitude. Goodbye.

So if you know the location, timing, and lighting are crap.. why are you arguing with those who are just telling you what you already know?

Arguing with who exactly lol.

When I have I said anything wasn't correct?

Me - "Ehhh, aye"
Me - "You sure, where?"

You're missing the point by a country mile. Quit making excuses, as the photographer you should have been directing the whole thing and using the light accordingly, not him. If he says 'this place looks ace, let's shoot there' and you turn up to a sky that's 5 stops brighter than the car you're shooting then it's your job to tell the guy it isn't going to work and figure something else out that will work. You've posted images here for crit and that's exactly what you're getting, if you don't like what you're hearing there are 2 things you can do - learn from it or not post at all. Personally I'd recommend the first option.

Seriously, stop blaming other people or circumstances for poor photos. You take the photo, if it's not very good then that's entirely down to the fact you messed up somewhere and need to rethink next time you do it. It really is that simple.

That is the only pic out the bunch that is like this and the reason I wanted feedback on this particular photo is because of how it looked. If it worked or what not.

There will absolutely be another situation where this comes up again, be it a wedding or another car or an opportunistic thing.

Also help on how to fix it for next time was the main thing.

Also help on how to fix it for next time was the main thing.

As has already been explained, choose your location better and pay more attention to what the light's doing rather than point, click and hope for the best. It really is very simple, it just takes a little thought before diving straight into firing. It also requires telling whoever owns the car that his 'epic' place isn't really all that epic if you need to!

Back