Audi RS4 - Rigged Firewall

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
A few weeks ago I set a personal challenge, to create a rigged firewall shot.

Last night a team of 9 got together, i prepared some pictures and outlined the plan to everyone - from here jobs were assigned and everyone knew their jobs for the duration of the shoot.

Before we started a few dummy runs were performed allowing the folk who never worked with the firewall to come to terms with walking speed, giggling and generally getting a feel for it.

After about 2 hours it was time to start shooting, 2 hours after that it was a wrap. To the best of my knowledge and I follow alot of automotive sites, this is the first ever rigged firewall shot - I did however note a red Audi shot that appeared last week however this is not real, he used virtual rig (or just PS) to create the final effect.

Allot was learned from this and I will carry those to the next shoot, where I hopefully will improve on this, with the help of the team.

892107_440314342710893_1374860848_o.jpg

The light is nice, but still not a fan of this firewall thing, just doesn't really look like fire to me.

What's going on with the wheels? The rear has positive camber?

I was curious to see how you shoot a firewall as I've never seen them before so I googled "how to shoot a firewall". Found the first 2 links were the blogspot of some guy called Van Elder who....oh wait :D

Firewalls aren't suppose to look like real fire tbh, for that you use other techniques. It's akin to light painting with a light saber on a long shutter speed. This doesn't look like a light saber, but does produce a long green strip of light - this is how i see firewalls, just more interesting patterns and very challenging.

Can't tell you about the camber, the car is one beast of an RS4, so may have something set up that i don't know about.

I don't think the shot has worked, but commend you on trying something new, afterall that's what half of this game is about and I'm sure many more will copy after seeing this. It's clear you're really having a crack at this fire-wall stuff and although it's not for everybody I think your passion shows.

I'd put good money on the 'positive camber' being an effect of the focal length and not the result of a well set-up car.

I was thinking it was more likely lens distortion, there's no real need for positive camber unless you're offroading, even then is pretty much just agricultural/mudpluggers

thinking about it your right, was using my 16-35mm at 16mm on 3m pole (4.5m total lenght but 1.5m of that was over the roof of the car)

How do you find the the 16-35? I'm on crop at the moment so wouldn't be using it for rigs more general stuff.

for general day to day stuff its fantastic, really great photos - I not sure I would use it for rigs again though, distortion not really my taste - However I felt i had to use it here because the car had to roll for nearly 30 seconds and i thought a longer pole would cause to much bounce.

THAT is ****in fantastic man. Original and looks amazing, the reflections are great.

I dont know if its a little dark and by brightening it the effect is lost, but other than that. wow and fantastic 4 hours work :confused:

Back