Aurora and Green Snow

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
My mate been to Iceland, the Aurora was out a couple of evenings.
He took photos and the Snow has a green cast, I asked him if the lights are bright enough to have that effect on the snow, he just did not know.
So anyone have experience and confirm one way or the other?
I know it can be sorted in post processing but my mate not a big fan on editing and likes it to be how it was :)

They can be. If it was a dark night (little or no Moon), the Aurora may well have been the major light source.

They can be. If it was a dark night (little or no Moon), the Aurora may well have been the major light source.

Cheers Nod

What we see as the colour of an object is actually the colour of the light reflected from its surface. So if there is only green light falling on the object, that's the only colour it can reflect and it will appear green, regardless of its full colour when viewed under normal white light, eg daylight.

If you watch snooker on TV, the players all have green faces.

Random example from google https://i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/inco...S/s615/0_Screen-Shot-2020-09-25-at-121513.png

Last edited:
My mate been to Iceland, the Aurora was out a couple of evenings.
He took photos and the Snow has a green cast, I asked him if the lights are bright enough to have that effect on the snow, he just did not know.
So anyone have experience and confirm one way or the other?
I know it can be sorted in post processing but my mate not a big fan on editing and likes it to be how it was :)
Sounds like he got it it "how it was."

Back