Aurora Aperture ND filters

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any experience with these - looking at the 12 stopper (ND4000/OD3.6) in terms of colour cast, image quality... If I was in need of a 52/58 filter I'd have probably just bought one to try on a punt but the 77 I need is just a wee bit much for a punt out of my pocket... Damn me and my largish front element lenses!

I've got a set of their rear mount filters for some of the Canon wide angle lenses. The 3, 6 and 12 stops are quite neutral but the 16 stop requires some WB correction.
There's no drastic IQ hit although the front mounted ones may not behave in the same way.

Bob

Hmmm - the 16 was on my radar too, what colour cast does it introduce? (And how bad is it?)

I may well press the button on the 12 later, if drink is taken...

There's a series of shots here.... (details under each image)

The first 5 were for colour consistency......no filter, 3, 6, 12 and 16 stops. The second 5 were for optical degradation (looking at the bolts on the pylon and any induced CA)

Fabulous, thanks Bob - I'll give the 12-stop a whirl - the colour cast on the 16-stop doesn't seem too egregious on the face of it (considering its reducing the light intensity to 1/65000)

I agree, far from terrible but the 16 stop simply doesn't stand alongside the others which I consider to be excellent.

Back