Beginner Auto Exposure lock Button

Edit My Images
Yes
Do people use this function button for actual locking exposure and if so whats the best way and the most usual scenario.
Thanks

I use mine for BBF.

However I do occasionally use AEL, a good example would be shooting a bridal portrait.

I know the white frock could fool the meter, so I'll swing the camera down to the grass and lock the exposure reading from there.

Also a backlit window portrait, I'll get a meter reading from the area at the side of the window.

It's a matter of understanding 2 things.
  • What will fool my meter
  • What does an 'average' scene look like.

If you know that, then it doesn't matter whether you use AEL, exp comp, spot metering or manual, the knowledge, technique and results are similar.

I tried using it shooting landscape but find it much easier to use full manual. The back button exposure lock times out unless you keep it pressed so it's probably more useful in the sort of scenario Phil gives. It's like everything - give it a try and see if it works for you.

Thanks all,i was thinking that the 4 methods Phil mentioned must give the same result,i feel more drawn to Manual in anything not requiring a quick response though I guess if one is experienced in any of the methods it becomes second nature,re bbf if it's just being used in AFC is using it versus shutter and focus lock with A FL button just same but in reverse?

Flash Value (nikon)/Flash Exposure (canon) Lock.
Not only does it lock the flash exposure, it also seems to make the flash metering more center weighted (maybe just because you put the subject in the center when metering). It also makes subsequent exposures non-TTL (no pre-flash).

Last edited:
Sorry to jump on your thread ............... but,
I have a Canon 550d and use the AE Lock as Back Button focus. Is it possible to use the custom function and assign AE Lock to another button?

Sorry to jump on your thread ............... but,
I have a Canon 550d and use the AE Lock as Back Button focus. Is it possible to use the custom function and assign AE Lock to another button?
Yes.in the custom functions
CF9.1

Last edited:
Phil. Thank you. I have changed the settings and will have a play. AE Lock is new to me so looking forward to see what it opens up.

Yes it does. The rear button becomes BBF and half shutter press becomes AE Lock. Though I'm not too sure yet about the pros and cons. Im still new to photography so it takes me a little while to get my head round it all.

That places exposure lock on the shutter release right? That's suitable for some situations, but I don't think it's a behavior I would want as a default.

I think David was asking if he could use the AEL button as the BBF and program AEL to a different button, ie keeping both functions on the back buttons but on seperate ones. Which I don't think you can do, at least not with the 550D (if I'm reading the manual correctly).
And David popped by with his comment as I was typing.............

Last edited:
Yes it does. The rear button becomes BBF and half shutter press becomes AE Lock. Though I'm not too sure yet about the pros and cons. Im still new to photography so it takes me a little while to get my head round it all.
If the composition and lighting remains constant, then having the exposure locked on 1/2 press isn't a problem at all... even if the composition changes it can work well (i.e. focus and recompose, but it's not necessarily any *better* than the default behaviors). What is probably more important than *when* the exposure is locked is which metering mode is used to set the exposure.

I photograph a lot of things in motion; that means the lighting frequently changes and the subject moves w/in the frame. In those types of scenarios having the exposure fixed at the time of image capture is usually a better option... but still significantly affected by the metering mode used.

Last edited:
That places exposure lock on the shutter release right? That's suitable for some situations, but I don't think it's a behavior I would want as a default.
Nor me, but it answers the question asked. :)

Thanks all for the replies. As I'm new I just want to learn how it all works. I appreciate its probably not the most convenient way to shot but as I haven't yet found my style and a lot of my photos are trail and error it's great to find new ways to shoot. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Dave.

Back