Auto-focus problem with 18-200mm

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D80 with an 18-200mm VR and just recently it has stopped Auto Focusing. I've tried my 50mm on the D80 and the AF works perfectly so I'm pretty sure the lens is going to have to go in for repair.

My question is do I send it directly to Nikon or am I better off using my local independant store or even Jessops to have a look ?

Thanks

Bulla

Would have thought most local stores just send off the lenses anyway - when I asked my local store to look at a lens, they told me that no stores in my area serviced lenses, and that it'd have to be sent to a Nikon service centre.

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens using a pencil rubber before you go sending it anywhere.

Possibly the gears got stripped? Although I'm not sure if that's possible on the Nikons though as aren't their motors built in?

I had the same thing happen recently - ended up sending to Nikon for repair, cost about £100 for new motor, labour, cleaning and testing. Took about 8 days start to finish which I didn't think was too bad.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I have tried cleaning the contacts, tightening the front element but still the same I'm afraid. Oh and I also checked the m/a switch ! Think I'll bite the bullet and send it off to Nikon.

Thanks again

Bulla

Back