Auto Focus Problem

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

I have a Cannon 400D & have an odd problem. The auto focus lights on the matrix don't light up when focusing. I can see a red light through the viewfinder though. Any advice anyone could give would be appreciated. :)

Ian

Sorry, what do you mean by the matrix. Just tried on my 400d

On the LCD screen at the back, there is a diagram, in the middle of the bottom half, which shows which AF points are selected, but these do not flash on AF-confirm.

Whilst looking through the viewfinder, you should see a diamond shape of points, and any of these should flash red on AF-confirm

Those are the only points I know of.....

Sorry, what do you mean by the matrix. Just tried on my 400d

On the LCD screen at the back, there is a diagram, in the middle of the bottom half, which shows which AF points are selected, but these do not flash on AF-confirm.

Whilst looking through the viewfinder, you should see a diamond shape of points, and any of these should flash red on AF-confirm

Those are the only points I know of.....

Yes - sorry I'm not good with descriptions. Usually the selected AF point through the viewfinder shows red but none are 'lighting' for af confirm. I can however see the glow of a red light in the viewfinder. The camera/lens is autofocusing ok though. It's annoying not being able to see the confirm plus I can't select an af point now as I can't see which is selected.

Selecting the AF point is possible by using the LCD instead of the view-finder. You may need to turn your LCD screen on (I have mine on all the time anyway).
Not as quick I know as looking through the view-finder, but at least you can make selections.

It would sound to me, I hope, that the mirror might have slipped. However, they are extremely delicate. If you search through the equipment forum, there was a post I think 3 weeks ago about replacing the screen, this might give some info on getting it back into position.
Otherwise, if you can't live with it, it is a repair job.

Back