Auto ISO

Sounds stupid but I'm too scared to use it!!! :LOL:

From what I remember, if you use it while using manual mode (which I do 100% of the time) it sets it on 400 and thats that. Which seems rubbish to me as Id want to change it all over the place.

I used it when I first got my 450d and was using it in P mode. When I started using Manual modes, the Auto ISO kept pushing and pushing, and at one point, I ended up having to use a shutter speed of 1/4000 @f5.6 and the ISO was up high.... It took me a while to work out why. Since then I've only set the ISO manually and try to keep it as low as possible (except for astrophotography).

I used it when I first got my 450D but haven't touch it since.
I notice the same problems as jgs001 so I set the ISO manually.

I think it dependsd on just how good your high ISO performance is. With a D700 I'd use it all the time... with my D200, I wouldn't LOL.

Like hashcake and jgs001 I used the auto ISO setting when I first purchased my 40D, and also like them once I had a better understanding of it and after several disappointing photos I switched to setting it myself, since doing so I have been far happier with the results.

Having said that, I do see now why people look for faster lenses us unless the light is really good then the higher ISO settings do help you retain a decent shutter speed.

I use it nearly all the time now. Shooting for very specific needs though in manual - a particular shutter speed (which i adjust on the fly depending on head on shots or to try and keep some wheel blur side on) and a set aperture for use when I'm using the 300 f4 with 1.7x TC (I only want f9 or f10) and let the camera do the ISO setting from 200 to 1600 (to keep it real!)

I used to do the same thing on my old 30D, but manually adjust the ISO when I saw the exposure meter go too far off of bang on.

Works a charm!

As soon as I got comfortable with my camera I stopped using it completely.

However, I leave my little snap happy Canon that I carry in a pocket on auto everything.

Actually, I'd not categorise it as a "dumb ass n00b feature", as I illustrated above, when you have precise requirements for shutter and aperture and in variable light conditions it makes for a valuable technique in motorsport photography. As I said, its only what I was doing in "full manual" on the 30D anyway...

It can be handy on the D300, if I'm using it I usually set the upper limit to something like 800, otherwise the camera has a habit of picking something like 1600 when it isn't really needed...

I use it nearly all the time now. Shooting for very specific needs though in manual - a particular shutter speed (which i adjust on the fly depending on head on shots or to try and keep some wheel blur side on) and a set aperture for use when I'm using the 300 f4 with 1.7x TC (I only want f9 or f10) and let the camera do the ISO setting from 200 to 1600 (to keep it real!)

I used to do the same thing on my old 30D, but manually adjust the ISO when I saw the exposure meter go too far off of bang on.

Works a charm!

I like that, very clever (y)

Works a charm!

I do exactly the same on my D300, but will let it go up to 3200 no problem, love the feature.

I wouldn't use it, I like full control. Just a personal choice really.

I don't mind going up to 1600 though, I did accidently last night and it came out really well.

I don't have it, but from what I've read, the Nikon implementation allows you to set a maximum iso, whereas the Canon doesn't. That difference would be make-or-break for me. I think the Nikon implementation could be really handy but I wouldn't use the Canon one.

It's a fantastic feature - on the right camera - you'd be surprised the differenced it can make. What's the alternative - you set the ISO - to what? 3200 to be safe? Use auto and you'd find a lot of shots come in well below that - having control - nuts - I just get the pictures - use the technology - that's what it's there for.

It's a fantastic feature - on the right camera - you'd be surprised the differenced it can make. What's the alternative - you set the ISO - to what? 3200 to be safe? Use auto and you'd find a lot of shots come in well below that - having control - nuts - I just get the pictures - use the technology - that's what it's there for.

I find I still have control, as I always run in manual, so I either adjust the shutter speed, or aperture if I feel I need to adjust the ISO. I can see the effect in the viewfinder my adjustment is having on the ISO ... would not be without it, however the Nikon one is different to how the Canon one works.

I use it on the D3 all the time when I'm shooting wildlife. Fantastic feature as it allows you to have the DOF and shutter speed you want at the lowest ISO possible, without you having to change it manually whichi can slow you down. It even works with exposure compensation (although not in manual mode).

Auto ISO on the a200 is a strange beast.

Auto ISO in all program mode's apart from night portrait only use's ISO 100-400 (100-800 in night portrait), even though it goes up to 3200 (This is probably because they know it is not really worth going past 800 on the a200). You have to manually set it if you want a higher ISO.

One good thing every time you set the program mode to manual, it sets the ISO back to 100.

I use it on the D3 all the time when I'm shooting wildlife. Fantastic feature as it allows you to have the DOF and shutter speed you want at the lowest ISO possible, without you having to change it manually whichi can slow you down. It even works with exposure compensation (although not in manual mode).

Only used mine for the last few months, great feature,works well and I should have used it as soon as I got the D300.

I use mine all the time on the d3 when doing indoor equestrian shoots, I think it's a great function to have which works well.

I use mine all the time on the d3 when doing indoor equestrian shoots, I think it's a great function to have which works well.

I've only used it ever since I first discovered it about 3 years ago :D

It's the dog's Bs IMHO - but watch out for what happens when you switch a flash on as that, on mine anyway, defaults to the ISO YOU set to start with

DD

I've only used it ever since I first discovered it about 3 years ago :D

It's the dog's Bs IMHO - but watch out for what happens when you switch a flash on as that, on mine anyway, defaults to the ISO YOU set to start with

DD

Not on the D300, or D80 I had before ... it will not change in the viewfinder display, however if you check your exif info on the rear screen you will see that the ISO has adjusted as required.

It cannot change before the flash is fired as it has nothing to meter.

Go and have a try

ive never used it once on my 400d :-s

doesnt appeal to me, its far easier to just do it yourself and if you shoot raw you get a couple of stops leeway anyway if you were to get it wrong.

Back