Auto-ISO

Do Canon now allow exposure comp shooting like that? Always thought they were shooting themselves in the foot vs Nikon by not facilitating that in the past but assume it's now allowed?
Not on the 1D4 but yes in the 1DX ,but if your doing a set of b.i.f shots in conjunction it can be changed in menu on the 1D4 or simply move back to a.v mode for your b.i.f shots .there is no such thing as the perfect camera iunfortunately

I use auto ISO in aperture mode until the shutter speed drops too low and then I switch to manual and dial in appropriate aperture and shutter settings and let the ISO float. Having auto ISO available in all modes including manual is wonderful and I'm always frustrated when I use one of my cameras that doesn't allow it.

It's possible only on a few Canons.
The Canon engineers were slownto see the benefit of auto ISO and are still struggling to implement it properly.
As Phil says above canon have been slow off the block and still lag behind ,there auto ISO is way behind nikons ,but it does at least work .you have to have had both Nikon and canon and used them with auto to realise the difference .

As Phil says above canon have been slow off the block and still lag behind ,there auto ISO is way behind nikons ,but it does at least work .you have to have had both Nikon and canon and used them with auto to realise the difference .

Out of interest how do you find the 1D iv compared with your previous 80D/7DII? Apologies if I have remembered incorrectly and for going off at a tangent.

Pretty much only manual if I can control the light or are working slow enough to really think about it . Wedding wise auto 99% of the time . I'd rather get the shot than worry about ISO . Changing light from windows is one thing that I don't have to worry about for example.

Out of interest how do you find the 1D iv compared with your previous 80D/7DII? Apologies if I have remembered incorrectly and for going off at a tangent.
No your bang on target Archie ,it's a dream of a camera taken longer than expected to tame it ,but it's now producing the goodies time after time in conditions i would have packed up with the other cameras ,if you look on my flickrstream I got a reed warbler last week at 10,000 ISO yes there is some apparent noise but the detail is still clean .

Until now have always adjusted the ISO manually, but this thread has persuaded me to give auto ISO a go. Pleased to see you can set the maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed (when in Av) on my 5D3's auto ISO options (as well as it being fully usable in M), but with my 5D2 it's a bit crap: unless I'm mistaken I can't set a minimum shutter speed, the max ISO is limited to 3200, and in M it defaults to iso400 for everything! I can see the point made earlier that Canon dragged their feet implementing it.

I understand the logic that it makes sense to avoid using it when using flash as the key light source, as it will interfere with the ability to control the amount of ambient light in the shot, but does it work OK when using a touch of fill flash, i.e when you want to correctly expose the ambient light?

Ah. I see that the auto-ISO function is severely compromised once a Speedlite is attached, so no point in using the function in that case.

Ah. I see that the auto-ISO function is severely compromised once a Speedlite is attached, so no point in using the function in that case.

There's too many variables when it comes to adding light sources, no Auto function could be expected to 2nd guess our intentions.

There's too many variables when it comes to adding light sources, no Auto function could be expected to 2nd guess our intentions.
Yeah, fair enough: Just thought it may continue as normal and meter for ambient light with the flash attached, so that a touch of fill could be used, but of course how would the camera know if you're using flash for fill purposes or as your primary light source (y)

I use auto ISO unless using flash or doing landscapes. Usually I want a set aperture and shutter speed so the only variable is ISO so why not let the camera change this for me.

Back