Auto Tone, Auto Contrast in PS6

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
Just started trying to understand CS6 more fully - I usually use the Develop module in LR

I take (Nikon) RAW images - when I edit them in PS6 and hit Auto Tone and then Auto contrast …….. my images alway change, (for the better????),

any idea why …….. are Nikon colours so different?

But Auto colour ruins them

Is this normal

I took swan today, big bird, so plenty to shoot at and white are never too easy

What do you think?

LR
swan_1.jpg

PS6 - Auto Tone and then Auto contrast
swan_2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me like it reduced the exposure and increased the contrast slightly. I actually like the PS edit, but I never use auto anything. Sometimes I'll check what it thinks is right but I never keep it.
It's not a peculiarity to Nikon... Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji...auto is seldom "right."

Both, seen at this scale, seem to show what is to me an uncomfortable byproduct of the digital era - in the neck region of the swan, the edges seem over-defined. I see this in some of my own photographs.

Regarding the comparison, I'd say that your LR technique needs refining. I'd avoid auto anything in processing though, unless you have thousands of images to process in a short time, in which case you're in a different world to me.

Last edited:
Both, seen at this scale, seem to show what is to me an uncomfortable byproduct of the digital era - in the neck region of the swan, the edges seem over-defined. I see this in some of my own photographs.

Regarding the comparison, I'd say that your LR technique needs refining. I'd avoid auto anything in processing though, unless you have thousands of images to process in a short time, in which case you're in a different world to me.

Thanks guys

original image straight out of camera … just converted to jpeg

(I only cropped the above so that you could see the detail more)

swan_4.jpg

Last edited:
Back