Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I used my Canon 650D for the first time on Sunday

and had problems with the auto focus hunting in and out on moving subjects

Even people walking slowly toward me

Any advice on what focus mode to use to avoid this ?

( other than buy a Nikon ) :LOL:

If it was whilst using Live View for sneaky shooting round the bend I would guess that is your problem. I think either you need one of the new STM lenses, which may or may not be the answer, or to go old school and shoot through the viewfinder using AI Servo mode.

Certainly the hunting description makes it sound awfully like you were using Live View.

p.s. Thanks for the sun screen - it was a life saver. :)

If it was whilst using Live View for sneaky shooting round the bend I would guess that is your problem. I think either you need one of the new STM lenses, which may or may not be the answer, or to go old school and shoot through the viewfinder using AI Servo mode.

Certainly the hunting description makes it sound awfully like you were using Live View.

p.s. Thanks for the sun screen - it was a life saver. :)

OK Tim , I will have a play with A1 servo and old school next time out

I looked into a STM lens when purchasing but according to Canon it primarily for HD movie use with slow focus to avoid fast point of focus changes

Re the sun cream , you are most welcome , As I have a extra wide parting its ESSENTIAL when the sun comes out or I end up with cooked spam :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi Allen, what lens was you using and what was you shooting. With the wifes 650D we have no problems with AF using a 24-105 f4. Indoors it's a bit more difficult and with her 18-135 indoors is basically undoable without flash of some description.

modchild said:
Hi Allen, what lens was you using and what was you shooting. With the wifes 650D we have no problems with AF using a 24-105 f4. Indoors it's a bit more difficult and with her 18-135 indoors is basically undoable without flash of some description.

i agree with this what were the lighting conditions? if you were shooting in low light conditions you would struggle even with a very good lens. My understanding is that live view uses a different method of focusing (never used it myself) which would potentially struggle in certain situations.

Hi the conditions were outside in bright sunny daylight ( and yes it was in the UK )

And I was using18-55 EF-S Canon lens

I had problems with my 450d hunting, even in good light. I switched to the centre focus point and one-shot mode and it works fine now. I haven't tried AI Servo with the centre focus point but plan to do a bit more experimenting when I get the chance.
I read somewhere that AI Focus is a waste of time but don't know how true this is...

did you read the manual before you used it ;)

Hi

I used my Canon 650D for the first time on Sunday

and had problems with the auto focus hunting in and out on moving subjects

Even people walking slowly toward me

Any advice on what focus mode to use to avoid this ?

( other than buy a Nikon ) :LOL:

did you read the manual before you used it ;)

Would love to , but even with my glasses on the text is very small

And I am a British Male , and work to the rules

" If all else fails , Read the instructions " :D

F1.2 said:
Would love to , but even with my glasses on the text is very small

And I am a British Male , and work to the rules

" If all else fails , Read the instructions " :D

Looks as if it has, so........ :naughty:

Or read the manual in PDF form on your computer. You can then have the text as large as you want.

Back