Automatic in snow.

lawrenceots

Banned : Trading/Abuse of Classifieds
Suspended / Banned
Name
Lawrence
Edit My Images
Yes
hiya, during my driving lesson yesterday, I was talking to the instructor about automatics, and mentioned that my grans auto Mercedes C270 CDI never did well on snow and the loose gravel on the our drive. Especially, as the insturctor, in his tiny Fiat 500 went up the very steep hill fine. He recommends using taking it out of automatic and going into second gear on snow, ice, gravel etc. Now my gran hardly knows the first thing about the merc - cruise control, all the many functions, no idea:LOL:. I did tell her this as shes's coming today and we have an inch ish of snow, but she is adament that it just has park, drive , and thats it. But surely it will have the option to select 1 or 2 as well? Any ideas?

Every auto i've had has the ability to select other gears, she probably hasn't noticed if she just has it in drive all the time.

she'll need to be careful with an auto on snow, as there's no clutch control it can be difficult to get it moving, I watched a woman in a big merc today, even at tickover whenever she took her foot off the brake it just went sideways, in the end she gave up, parked it and walked

I had a similar problem this morning. Going uphill, I had to stop to let a lorry come down and couldn't get it going again. I took it out of D and put it in 2nd but it made no difference. I managed to reverse back round a corner and went home.

Automatics are generally o.k. in the snow as they automatically change up a gear if they start to slip.

I suppose they could have a bit of a problem if the idle speed is a bit high as you don't have so much control for pulling away.

Steve.

I had an old Auto Volvo 850 estate that was good in the snow.

had many options, including a Sport, Economy and Winter mode for the box.

Not seen what options are on my mum's Merc's box but my folks user the 4x4 in bad weather

my MG has been brilliant in this weather... Great fun spinning those wheels... hehe...

I think the issue for a lot of people is they just don't know how to drive in snow, especially the younger lot who have been spoilt with all the electronic controls...

Last edited:
I have a Chrysler 300c and its fine in snow for a big heavy motor but bit dodgy going down very steep roads if icy, they are ok as long as you don't put your foot down too sharply.

tks for the advice, will pass it on. ;)

I miss my 166... with its big thick speed tyres it was useless in snow! Although it could pull away in third, I just miss it!

Every auto box I have ever driven had a Snow setting where it changed gear as early as it could.

I had a Mercedes auto - Hence the nickname. When the snow came it was christened Bambi.
Rear wheel drives are rarely good in snow as there's no weight on the drive wheels.

I think the issue for a lot of people is they just don't know how to drive in snow,

Agree, the level of driver skill is awful. Dare I say it, improve driver training from the outset then there will be no need to ever reduce speedlimits (bearing in mind the 60mph limit was introduced at a time when cars were not half as good as they are now i.e. electronic aids, better tyres, suspension, brakes and safety equipment etc). Sorry, I'm straying a wee bit off topic here, as I could go on all day :D

A classic example is my ex neighbour, he used to jump in and boot his car up our hill in the snow and fail with epic proportions. Me and my Dad jump in our old '89 Sierra estate with a fully loaded trailer and make it up first time... granted we were going up sideways at times ;)

I had a Mercedes auto - Hence the nickname. When the snow came it was christened Bambi.
Rear wheel drives are rarely good in snow as there's no weight on the drive wheels.

Porsche 911? (y)

Re: Autos in snow - I've got one thing to say.

"Quattro"

Nuff said.

better tyres,

You mean there are better tyres available, but there are some that are simply pointless in this weather, saw a taxi that couldnt drive on the flat with Eagle F1's on, my company van has budget tyres fitted that are pretty useless. I am glad i have done skid pan driving as that thing has been sideways more then it straight the last couple of days. Yet my car you wouldnt know the roads are icy.

You mean there are better tyres available, but there are some that are simply pointless in this weather, saw a taxi that couldnt drive on the flat with Eagle F1's on, my company van has budget tyres fitted that are pretty useless. I am glad i have done skid pan driving as that thing has been sideways more then it straight the last couple of days. Yet my car you wouldnt know the roads are icy.

I aren't sure you read my post properly. It had no relation to driving in snow, which I pointed out in the last sentence of paragraph one by stating that I was wandering off topic.

Last edited:
Well grannies arrived ok :LOL: a little bit of sliding down the hill.....now just got to go up the drive tomorrow :LOL:

Glad to hear she arrived safely! :)

My Jeeps automatic and don't have any issues in the snow - obviously the 4WD helps though!

However, on a nice slippy road or carpark I have some great fun by putting it in 1st and give it some beans. As by default its a 70/30 (rear/front) split its very easy to loose the back end.

Fun only lasts so long though because the 4.7ltr engine sucks the fun juice quickly....

Glad to hear she arrived safely! :)

My Jeeps automatic and don't have any issues in the snow - obviously the 4WD helps though!

However, on a nice slippy road or carpark I have some great fun by putting it in 1st and give it some beans. As by default its a 70/30 (rear/front) split its very easy to loose the back end.

Fun only lasts so long though because the 4.7ltr engine sucks the fun juice quickly....

sounds fun ;) ouch 4.7 ltr:p that'll get the global warming people talking:LOL: I bet you notice the power, I love suvs with big engines, not these nasty little fiat 500s!:D

Yeah, so much for global warming. I'm one of the few who can actually get out to the main road from the house with ease at the moment due to the snow!

I don't drive far so the 13MPG isn't bad, probably around 2k miles per year (mainly going to work and back).

It's running around 300ish horse and has a heap of torque, surprises loads of people - not to mention it sounds brilliant too... :D

Ohhhh I am soooooo envious! I'd kill for an Audi Q7 and RR Sport! So don't come near Llansannan when I'm in :LOL:

I have owned a Vectra for almost 3 years now and have never driven it in snow. Its not that I'm a scardy cat, its just that we haven't had much until this year.
I am on nights at the moment so I'm using the other half's wee S plate Fiesta. This car could drive up Ben Nevis in snow - its brilliant!!
Plus the fact that I have the car cleared of snow and ready for her to get to work.
But the BIGGEST plus is that I use her petrol (snigger snigger)

I would love a 4x4 next so that I could drive into the countryside for some real winter landscapes without, hopefully, getting stuck with spinning wheels

Auto boxes are great in the snow for moving off/forwards in my experience, as they deliver power a lot more smoothly than us mere mortals can. However, the major disadvantage I used to find with my old auto, was the inability to let the gearbox share in controlling the speed/braking when heading downhill in icy conditions. They're no better, no worse than a manual in opinion, it's just a difference in driving style! :)

I think the issue for a lot of people is they just don't know how to drive in snow, especially the younger lot who have been spoilt with all the electronic controls...

Lets start a war here Heppers :D

( I'm on your side BTW)
Now talking of Automatics, 3L capri mark II Auto, great fun in the wet let alone the
snow (y)
no ABS SIPS or what ever these "safety devices are called"

Most automatics have a snow button don't they? I think it shortens the gear ratios or something to prevent wheel spin.

James

Short gear ratios are worse in the snow. Hence it's easier to drive in first than second without wheel spin.

And as said normally it just softens the map slightly and makes it change up as early as possible.

Personally I don't find driving in the snow a big issue. Just crack on. Provided you drive with a bit of common sense you'll be fine.

Short gear ratios are worse in the snow. Hence it's easier to drive in first than second without wheel spin.

And as said normally it just softens the map slightly and makes it change up as early as possible.

Personally I don't find driving in the snow a big issue. Just crack on. Provided you drive with a bit of common sense you'll be fine.

driving along the A66 on sunday night in the snow, i was giving good leeway ( a few hundred yards) to the lorry infront allowing me to deal with anything by slowing down (hey we were only doing about 25mph) through the gears rather than using the brakes and sliding around. the car behind me was giving an acceptable gap as well..... 10 feet...... bloody mentals!

ive found most things are passable that ive had to deal with (in cumbria, preston and now in cheshire) have been fine, 2nd or 3rd gear and take it steady, slow down through the gears rather than the brakes and keep the speed down if its slippy, job sorted!

i saw the funniest thing on the channel 4 news earlier. there was a lady stuck in the snow on one of the reports in an estate passat... she had taken the floor mats out of the footwells (good idea!) and put them under the rear wheels(!) to try to get some grip....... front wheels were still spinning obviously...:bonk::clap::LOL:

Last edited:
i saw the funniest thing on the channel 4 news earlier. there was a lady stuck in the snow on one of the reports in an estate passat... she had taken the floor mats out of the footwells (good idea!) and put them under the rear wheels(!) to try to get some grip....... front wheels were still spinning obviously...:bonk::clap::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

My Merc has 1, 2, 3, 4, D as well as reverse.

Amusingly it has two reverse gears.

However traction in the snow is useless. Wheels spin without provocation, when you have 300lb ft through rear wheels (most weight over front wheels) I have to put sacks of gravel in the boot !

Last edited:
Porsche 911? (y)

"Quattro"

Nuff said.

Originally Posted by mercedes

Porsche 911?

"Quattro"

Nuff said.

Not your common or garden Ford - Hence 'Rare' :D

I drove manual cars for + 30 years, then I bought a BMW automatic. I'll never go back to manual, but I still prefer rear wheel drive. If front wheel drive is so much better, why do the more expensive manufacturers only use it on the entry level ranges, and reserve rear wheel drive for the rest?

Automatics are fine in snow. Just lock the box in 1 or 2, to stop it changing up (some boxes will override the setting if you over rev) and drive. If conditions are really dreadful, and you can't get moving, it's not going to matter anyway. You need 4 WD, or put sacks or grit under the tyres to give them some traction.

I drove manual cars for + 30 years, then I bought a BMW automatic. I'll never go back to manual, but I still prefer rear wheel drive. If front wheel drive is so much better, why do the more expensive manufacturers only use it on the entry level ranges, and reserve rear wheel drive for the rest?.

i dont think anyone is disputing that rear drive isnt better than front drive from a handling point of view, however in the snow and ice a front drive car will be able to find more traction due to the bulk of the weight being over the driven wheels.
most car manufacturers use front drive because it benefits the packaging of the vehicle the engine can be mounted transversely meaning a shorter bonnet and due to the lack of propshafts etc there is no transmission tunnel to take up room along the centre of the car

I remember watching an old Top Gear show when Clarkson went to Iceland doing glacier stuff. they all used autos, albeit highly modified ones :D

a couple of years ago I had an Audi A8 4.2 Quattro, my wife used it to drive the 2 miles to work and back in the winter, I put £20 in it and she used it in a week, it averaged about 6mpg because it was cold all the time.

I now have a Jaguar XK8 with a 4.0 V8 in it, it's averaging around 20mpg so a bit better

If it is a newish C Class, then it will only have P R N D as options, but if she taps the gear stick left and right she will have a tiptronic box, so can select second.

IIR it will also have a W and S button to the left of the stick, for winter and summer (or winter and sport, or whatever) so the W button may help.

tks for the input guys. ;) Got up the drive eventually, after using A LOT of sand and cardboard! and went to our garage and she's been shown what to do. ;) It is the newer one, I think 2005, so yes, just tap it to the right and you get from 1-4. pretty good, also, guite obviously, been advised to put a couple of sand bags in the boot over the axel, though my grans not too keen on that idea :LOL:

Nice one! (y)

Can't believe they stopped selling the V8s over here, Jeeps are meant to be thirsty not tree huggers...
aye, want a Hummer next LoL Luckily i have a runabout for daily trips but try to take the 300c out in nice weather LoL had a woman dint drivers door after only having it 2 days! she let kid push trolley into it ************************! and left me with £600+ bill

Would love a XK8 awesome motors!

off topic, There are some nice cars about. Now, now way can I afford one, but why are Jags Stype so dirt cheap?? Not even with loads on the clock there a bargain. And they look soooo coool! :LOL:

Back