Automotive location advice needed. South Yorkshire.

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Six months ago I put an artic on the road and have spent the past six months looking desperately for decent locations for photography. I've found a couple but not very many.

Now its time for a new lorry, (the last one was a six month hire, this one is mine for five years) and I am again looking for photography of it. I'm going to get a few at the dealership that supplied the vehicle and then nip round to the sign writers to pick up a trailer and grab a few more but I'm going to want some shots which don't include other companies logos.

I've found one location which I think would be fantastic for truck photography. If anyone knows Sheffield, its Blackburn Meadows Way, the new road linking Meadowhall to Sheffield Road, Rotherham with the Biomass powerstation in the background. I think that this would be a great place for some early evening photography with the power station lit up, then once it gets properly dark, for a few light trails with traffic on the Meadowhall Flyover. The problem I have is that the road is an Urban Clearway so I can't park on it without permission and I don't know who to contact to get authority to use the location. Anyone got any ideas?

Any other ideas would also be gratefully received.

Worth dropping @minnnt a DM as he knows the area like the back of his hand. Think he’s been doing a lot of cycling in that region too, so I’m pretty confident he would have a whole host of great locations to advise you on

I would love to but I'm the only one insured to drive the truck!

Unless you can get another photographer, plus a tracking car/driver then thats an issue!

The other option is to shoot the road as a backplate (static), quickly snap the truck with you sitting in it (static), then add all the movement in post production.

Did it once for a client:

Toyota Prius

Could be a plan. I take it it's as "simple" as soften/blur tool carefully applied in the obvious direction?

Of course being a Fuji user now I can tripod and snap from the drivers seat on any industrial estate that takes my fancy. WiFi camera control is a godsend at times.

On a side note, did you share that shot on Facebook and I say it was a great shot of a shocking subject??

Path blur for the backplate, spin blur for wheels and motion blur for reflections on car. Path blur is quite tricky and takes some time tweaking to get right - even this example isn't 100% but near enough ok.

I've shared on various platforms but don't really remember that comment!

Back