Autosport International 2010

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon all.

Wanted to capture a different take on this show, rather than just document it..did that last year. Have I got it right or completely naffed it up?:shake:

Full Set Here ---->> Clicky Meee!

Few Samples...

4281590022_728dfdeb1d_o.jpg

4281590924_4305fff3ea_o.jpg

4281591210_4227e125df_o.jpg

I think they are really high quality and great images. Being a petrol head helps!! :D

I'll have the Nissan GTR please!

Hi Willbaroo,

I went yesterday (sat) and struggled to find anything to photo - but I tried that exact GT-R shot you've done, and yours is WAY better!!! it was so crowded and the lighting wasn't good for me :|

I had to laugh though.....

I saw most of the togs concentrating on the totty manning all the stands!!! (my husband just managed to roll his tongue back in, but not before I'd noticed!!! :LOL:)

what did you think of the 'show'? we preferred the MPH ones by far! ;)

Hi William
Think you've nailed the lighting quite well (struggled the last time I went) and don't mind a few shots like this but do prefer to see the whole subject personally
Haven't been for a few years,doubt much has changed though

I quite like them, I struggle with detail shots and always end up including a bit more and a bit more until the whole dam thing is in :LOL:
Like the R29 shot at the end of the flickr set (y)

I quite like the first one, the colours are really nice too. I'm not sure on the last too, as previously said they are all crisp and well exposed.

Chris

I think they are really high quality and great images. Being a petrol head helps!! :D

I'll have the Nissan GTR please!

Thanks Andy, mega chuffed with your comments!!

I thought they might appeal to the fellow petrol heads.

Me and a friend were discussing this on the way back but then realised that apart from Caterham it was the car we saw the most...:shake: hope they don't become tooo common...:shake:

Hi Willbaroo,

I went yesterday (sat) and struggled to find anything to photo - but I tried that exact GT-R shot you've done, and yours is WAY better!!! it was so crowded and the lighting wasn't good for me

I had to laugh though.....

I saw most of the togs concentrating on the totty manning all the stands!!! (my husband just managed to roll his tongue back in, but not before I'd noticed!!! )

what did you think of the 'show'? we preferred the MPH ones by far! ;)

Thanks, it took a few attempts to nail it but having the 50mm 1.8 helped I think. I'll be honest most of the 'totty' was dreadfull, proper rough 7-8 pinters who have been told they look 'ok' by there friends/family when in actual fact there pretty fugly! I wouldn't have had any issues with telling them to ****** off out of shot...:puke:

The show itself is starting to turn into one giant trade show - its starting to lack in pure entertainment...:(

The DOF is a little shallow for my liking, I'd of liked to have seen the whole subject in focus with just the BG blurred. Nice and crisp though.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback mark - I see what you mean. Next time I will see if I can increase the DoF a little without losing the 'interestingness' if that makes any sense what so ever :thinking:

Hi William
Think you've nailed the lighting quite well (struggled the last time I went) and don't mind a few shots like this but do prefer to see the whole subject personally
Haven't been for a few years,doubt much has changed though

Thanks for your comments chap, I got loads of 'whole subject' ones last year and wasn't impressed when I came away, lighting like you mentioned being my biggest problem. I tried to keep that problem to a minimum this year by taking my nice new off camera flash (thanks flashinthepan) and 50mm :)

I quite like them, I struggle with detail shots and always end up including a bit more and a bit more until the whole dam thing is in :LOL:
Like the R29 shot at the end of the flickr set (y)

Thanks Cyclone - the R29 was hanging up on a wall and it was only as we left the show I spotted it and thought that will make an interesting photo ;)

I quite like the first one, the colours are really nice too. I'm not sure on the last too, as previously said they are all crisp and well exposed.

Chris

Thanks Chris, the HKS one was a real shot to nothing, it was my first shot I took after strapping the prime lens on and wanted to experiment with some shallow DoF. The colours reflecting off the carpet onto the matt black paint just nailed it for me. (y)

Had a look through your flickr set. The three you posted are pick of the bunch. Very much like the HKS abstract. The GT-R really needs that head cloning out to work. And the Focus, maybe crop a little from the top and right so the RS badge is less central (ideally though you'd have composed it this way and with a bit more space around the Ford badge.

The others don't work so well for me. I think I see what you were trying to do but I guess that people and space gave you composition/ timing headaches.

You've done well throughout given the mixed lighting environment.

Nice set of shots. I actually like the use of DOF on the first one.

I was there on Thursday for press day. I've attended the Autosport show for a fair few years now and the lighting in the NEC is a constant battle. I use a defuser on my speedlight, shoot manual and use only my primes lenses as they're my quickest glass. Every scrap of light you can get through the lens is vital in that place.

The show's been slightly diminished this past two years due to the state of the motor sport industry. Its still worth a visit but I wouldn't go any other day but media day as it just get way too packed.

I'd have to take exception with you regarding your comments on the promo girls. Most of them are lovely. What they do is damn hard work for not brilliant money. I'd wager that after four days of standing for 8 hours solid and having to put up with idiotic teenagers with camera phones asking to pose with them, they're all nursing tired and bruised feet tonight. One or two of them weren't exactly classy but they're just trying to make a living so I always make a point of being friendly to them: it ensures better photos. :)

Had a look through your flickr set. The three you posted are pick of the bunch. Very much like the HKS abstract. The GT-R really needs that head cloning out to work. And the Focus, maybe crop a little from the top and right so the RS badge is less central (ideally though you'd have composed it this way and with a bit more space around the Ford badge.

The others don't work so well for me. I think I see what you were trying to do but I guess that people and space gave you composition/ timing headaches.

You've done well throughout given the mixed lighting environment.

Many thanks for the comments, the lighting in that place was interesting to say the least....it was a steep learning curve for me with my first external flash!

Nice set of shots. I actually like the use of DOF on the first one.

I was there on Thursday for press day. I've attended the Autosport show for a fair few years now and the lighting in the NEC is a constant battle. I use a defuser on my speedlight, shoot manual and use only my primes lenses as they're my quickest glass. Every scrap of light you can get through the lens is vital in that place.

The show's been slightly diminished this past two years due to the state of the motor sport industry. Its still worth a visit but I wouldn't go any other day but media day as it just get way too packed.

I'd have to take exception with you regarding your comments on the promo girls. Most of them are lovely. What they do is damn hard work for not brilliant money. I'd wager that after four days of standing for 8 hours solid and having to put up with idiotic teenagers with camera phones asking to pose with them, they're all nursing tired and bruised feet tonight. One or two of them weren't exactly classy but they're just trying to make a living so I always make a point of being friendly to them: it ensures better photos. :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment zoom!! As said light is most interesting in that place!:help:

I appriciate the comments about the models, maybe I just don't see that side of it...:thinking:

I as there too yesterday, and I also struggled like mad with the NEC lighting and the crowds, I also felt very sorry for the people that qued for Jensons autograph and never got one...A show that advertises someone as the star autograph signing attraction needs to do better than 4 10 min slots in a day.
There were a few highlights though.....the Rally display was great...seiing a 205 T16 in the metal pleased me no end, and I finally got a shot of Mansells F1 title winning FW14b. that for me was worth the trip alone.

Just dont start me off about the cost to get in!

I as there too yesterday, and I also struggled like mad with the NEC lighting and the crowds, I also felt very sorry for the people that qued for Jensons autograph and never got one...A show that advertises someone as the star autograph signing attraction needs to do better than 4 10 min slots in a day.
There were a few highlights though.....the Rally display was great...seiing a 205 T16 in the metal pleased me no end, and I finally got a shot of Mansells F1 title winning FW14b. that for me was worth the trip alone.

Just dont start me off about the cost to get in!

Entrance costs for the Autosport show are crazily high but its still packed every year so its back to old market forces thing, I guess.

The rally display was belting, I agree. The F1 display is quite lame compared with the ones they used to assemble.

The Bloodhound stand was fascinating. What a project that is. I would so love to watch that thing run.

Many thanks for the comments, the lighting in that place was interesting to say the least....it was a steep learning curve for me with my first external flash!

Thanks for taking the time to comment zoom!! As said light is most interesting in that place!:help:

I appriciate the comments about the models, maybe I just don't see that side of it...:thinking:

'Interesting' is one word for the lighting in that place. I'm more prone to question the designer's parentage. The light in there always has that horrible orange/yellow tinge to it. I shot on cloudy white balance all day and got away with it to a large extent but it taken me a fair few NEC shows to improve my efforts. The ones I took at the Classic Motor Show back in November were shot before I invested in a defuser for my Speedlight and most were shot on Aperture or Shutter speed priority. Although a few were tinged, I was happier this time around.
http://www.2020zoom.com

As for the promo girls, next time, have a chat and a laugh with them. Its a long day for them and they love people with 'real' cameras rather than idiotic kids with Nokias.

Entrance costs for the Autosport show are crazily high but its still packed every year so its back to old market forces thing, I guess.

The rally display was belting, I agree. The F1 display is quite lame compared with the ones they used to assemble.

The Bloodhound stand was fascinating. What a project that is. I would so love to watch that thing run.

im sure the last time i went there you could walk around the F1 cars on a starting grid? much better!.........i was also disapointed that I didnt see Jim Bamber there ether :) I wonder how the response will be from all the disgrunted Jenson fans though.

Back