Autumn colour in the forest

1) Good framing & tones - & a good sense of dampness and the beginnings of decomposition that underlies the soil formation & health of woodlands.
2) Good perspective. I'd have used a wider aperture to reduce depth of field, to concentrate even more on that leaf. Are you using aperture-priority exposure mode?
3 & 4) Sorry, having overcast skies blow to featureless white (in colour photos) isn't usually a good idea. Are you taking charge of exposure in any way, or are you just in program auto? In terms of vision, (3) is the most boring of the set.
5) I like your appreciation & celebration of place, but the flash kills the atmosphere - it would've been better to stick with the ambient light and take the luminosity hit, and connect more with the actual mood of what was in front of you.

#1 for me, has a nice atmosphere to it. Did you use a flash on the last image?

A

Thanks and yes I did for the last one.

1) Good framing & tones - & a good sense of dampness and the beginnings of decomposition that underlies the soil formation & health of woodlands.
2) Good perspective. I'd have used a wider aperture to reduce depth of field, to concentrate even more on that leaf. Are you using aperture-priority exposure mode?
3 & 4) Sorry, having overcast skies blow to featureless white (in colour photos) isn't usually a good idea. Are you taking charge of exposure in any way, or are you just in program auto? In terms of vision, (3) is the most boring of the set.
5) I like your appreciation & celebration of place, but the flash kills the atmosphere - it would've been better to stick with the ambient light and take the luminosity hit, and connect more with the actual mood of what was in front of you.

I believe I had the camera on it's 'macro' mode for #2. I used aperture-priority for many other pictures during that day though including for #3 and #4 I believe.

Thank you for all of your feedback, I really appreciate it and I'm still rather new to using my DSLR and have a lot more to learn.

Back