Autumn colours, River Braan, Dunkeld

I struggle with scenes like this- in a technical sense how do you get the water moving without any of the foliage moving and blurring. Do you blend two exposures together
Not sure how Neil did it but I will take two exposures, sometimes more. Get your base shot with the water the way you want and then match the exposure but at a higher iso to freeze movement in foliage. The sensors are so good you can easily get another couples of stops of freezing speed that when merged it is difficult to see a change in quality. You could even shoot two shots at the same iso and drop a filter in halfway to reduce the shutter speed and get the water where you want. Not often you get the leaves totally still as the water creates some air movement and it is Scotland.

Nice shot Neil. I drove past there on Sunday and pondered a shot or two but it was pouring down and I just headed home

Last edited:
Lovely shot and I like the colours in this.

Looks good

Thanks!

Nice work Neil

Cheers Alf
I struggle with scenes like this- in a technical sense how do you get the water moving without any of the foliage moving and blurring. Do you blend two exposures together

Hi Steve.

Technically this was a fairly easy image to take given the conditions were just about right to achieve the desired effect.
Firstly, there was virtually no wind, hence why the foliage remains 'still'.
Secondly the location of the shot was approx 50 yards short of the large waterfall at the Hermitage so the river was picking up some good speed.
Lastly adding a polariser increases my exposure, removes unwanted glare & increases the overall saturation. All good things!
Playing around with the settings you'll eventually end up with the right looking shot with good brightness levels whilst retaining water detail.
This particular image is a single exposure taken at 24mm (Nikon 24 PCE), F10, 0.6s @ ISO 64.
Edited with Camera Raw & fine tuned in PS.

Not sure how Neil did it but I will take two exposures, sometimes more. Get your base shot with the water the way you want and then match the exposure but at a higher iso to freeze movement in foliage. The sensors are so good you can easily get another couples of stops of freezing speed that when merged it is difficult to see a change in quality. You could even shoot two shots at the same iso and drop a filter in halfway to reduce the shutter speed and get the water where you want. Not often you get the leaves totally still as the water creates some air movement and it is Scotland.

Nice shot Neil. I drove past there on Sunday and pondered a shot or two but it was pouring down and I just headed home

Cheers Simon

Lovely shot and I like the colours in this.

Thank you kindly Graham

Back