Autumn Fruit and Foraging for Food.

I'm sure I saw a news article or something encouraging people to catch them.

I'm not certain though.

you could be right but that would just be typical irresponsible journalism - the real situation is that you need a licence, and the reason is a)to ensure people know what they are looking at and aren't taking white clawed crayfish in error , b) to ensure that they are rereleased in waterways they haven't yet reached, c) to ensure kit is properly sterilise so as not to spread biohazrds between waterways , d) to ensure you are using authorised traps that re not a risk to watervoles or otters

full SP https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permission-to-trap-crayfish-eels-elvers-salmon-and-sea-trout

to ensure you are using authorised traps that re not a risk to watervoles or otters
I know a pestie, that is making good money trapping the lil basts right now ;)

In milton keynes you used to be able to pick them up out of the weirs - especially the one by the hanson centre without needing a trap you could just wander round and fill a bucket by torchlight ... erm I mean thats what ive heard your honour, obviously i never took any without a licence, no sir not me :whistle:

In milton keynes you used to be able to pick them up out of the weirs - especially the one by the hanson centre without needing a trap you could just wander round and fill a bucket by torchlight ... erm I mean thats what ive heard your honour, obviously i never took any without a licence, no sir not me :whistle:
I don't like them, so I've never bothered with them, all I know is there is good money to be made at it ;)

Its a right PITA isn't it? Damned MotherForklift predictive text

:D

Foraging, I found a couple of great fields on the way back from Norfolk earlier today full of all sorts of free stuff, loaded up the 4x4 (y)

(anyone know how to joint a pig? )

OMG! Tell me this is not you?

Landlord's horror as he discovers tenant is living with 50 stone pig in his Lincolnshire bungalow
By CarolineW_LE | Posted: August 17, 2015

Read more: http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/L...tory-27621823-detail/story.html#ixzz3k81yS5Ib
Follow us: @LincsEcho on Twitter | LincsEcho on Facebook

My OH and I have been foraging for ages, mainly because it takes you on long walks in our lovely countryside, and also because it allows you to gather free fruit and nuts (I am not brave enough to forage for mushrooms).
This year has been absolutely great, and we have managed to gather around 20 kilos of walnuts, a few kilos of cobnuts, loads of blackberries (2 kilner jars of jam in the fridge), victoria plums and various sorts of apples.
Today we managed to get a couple of kilos of walnuts, and then found some smallish hazlenut trees (a bit different to Kentish cobnut trees), and set about collecting the windfalls.
However, when we got home, it seems like 90% of the kernels are empty, which is a bit frustrating - could be down to a "nut weevil" or maybe "parthenocarpy" (happens when the seeds are not fertilised).
So, do any of you folks do any foraging?

Sounds like great fun!
There's another fairly recent thread here too. :)

Has anyone eaten any coarse fish? Eel are (or used to be) commonly consumed but I've never fancied them at all, even less in jelly. (n)

It is said that pike is good to eat as is carp, (if purged a bit I understand). I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday though who told me his parents had been to a Michelin starred restaurant in France where they had been served pike and found it unpalatable or even inedible apparently.

I had a copy of H.Fearnley-Whttingstall's "Cook on the Wild Side" and he advocates eating almost all fish, especiallly the bottom feeding gudgeon which he rates as particularly delicious!

I have eaten perch, pike and zander in France and Italy, and if the chef knows what they are doing then they are really tasty. I have also caught and eaten pike and perch in the UK, but they are quite bony fish and depending on the water can be a bit earthy. They are best caught from chalk streams, the sort where trout and grayling thrive.
If you are going to fish for them you will need a rod licence - bought from your post office or the environment agency.

Threads merged and as Sloe gin ( et al ) has its own thread HERE
The title changed to foraging.

Last edited:
Only really done blackberrying this year. Got a couple of pounds - enough for a pair of delicious blackberry and apple crumbles. Not huge jam eaters here so left plenty on the bushes for other people. I am brave enough (and know enough) to pick the correct mushrooms but this year, that has been purely on a pick/peel/eat basis during morning rounds. LOADS of sloes in the hedges, despite several people having "done" them, shame I don't really like sloe gin (or other preparations from them.)

Only really done blackberrying this year. Got a couple of pounds - enough for a pair of delicious blackberry and apple crumbles. Not huge jam eaters here so left plenty on the bushes for other people. I am brave enough (and know enough) to pick the correct mushrooms but this year, that has been purely on a pick/peel/eat basis during morning rounds. LOADS of sloes in the hedges, despite several people having "done" them, shame I don't really like sloe gin (or other preparations from them.)

Me and the missus were passing a field yesterday and we spotted some mushrooms, they looked lovely and I said shall I pick some and fry them up for breakfast. I was only joking but the missus thought I was serious and took a wobbler. Don't be so bloody silly she said, buy some like that from the shop. Just got back from doing an Asda shop, I did spot some lovely mushrooms like the ones we saw in the field. But they were £6.67 per Kilo, wow not paying that.

Don't be so bloody silly she said, buy some like that from the shop. Just got back from doing an Asda shop, I did spot some lovely mushrooms like the ones we saw in the field. But they were £6.67 per Kilo, wow not paying that.
Yeah go for it, whats the worse that can happen?

Oh yeah you could die, I suppose :D

May have been tempted with my ex, hmm Toasted Garlic Toadstools on toast :naughty:
Toasted Toads tool? better than frogs legs are they?
Need a few of those to the pound though I bet :D

Back