Autumn leaves

Name
Jen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and fairly new to using a DSLR. A few weeks ago the colours of the trees were unbelievable and I had to get out and take some photos. This was my favourite out of the set and I was hoping I could get some comments on it?

Many thanks in advance!

DSC_0204 by Miles Away Girl, on Flickr

I like the shot very much. There is a feeling of depth, which is always good; color is really beautiful as you mentioned and I think you captured it perfectly. Composition wise it works, but I wonder if you could've made a different shot... not sure - have you tried to crop a bit the bottom part? I mean, I like the shot as it is - don't mind me - hehe.

Hello Jennie

I like this shot. The narrow range of focus gives it a good sense of depth.

Perhaps though it needs a little processing because of a little underexposure? I've a slightly cropped example below. Just play with what your software can do -- Curves and the like. More saturation works well with the lovely autumn colours though that in turn can affect significant detail in those colours, so I've allowed some of the original to show through here and there.

autlev.jpg

Software can seem a bit daunting at times, but it's worth experimenting just to see what you get. In time it really takes off.

Just my opinions here, Jennie, but I like the shot and the rich dark background. Well seen.

Sam

I like the shot very much. There is a feeling of depth, which is always good; color is really beautiful as you mentioned and I think you captured it perfectly. Composition wise it works, but I wonder if you could've made a different shot... not sure - have you tried to crop a bit the bottom part? I mean, I like the shot as it is - don't mind me - hehe.

Hello Jennie

I like this shot. The narrow range of focus gives it a good sense of depth.

Perhaps though it needs a little processing because of a little underexposure? I've a slightly cropped example below. Just play with what your software can do -- Curves and the like. More saturation works well with the lovely autumn colours though that in turn can affect significant detail in those colours, so I've allowed some of the original to show through here and there.

Software can seem a bit daunting at times, but it's worth experimenting just to see what you get. In time it really takes off.

Just my opinions here, Jennie, but I like the shot and the rich dark background. Well seen.

Sam

Thank you both very much for your great comments! I always worry what I think is a good shot is actually rubbish.. I wish the middle (front) leaf was focused - I think it is quite distracting, but I love the left hand leaf and the feeling of depth to it.

I am very new to processing and cropping photos and I am looking into software at the moment, in particular Photoshop Elements, but am concerned it is too advanced for a beginner.

But what a difference in what you have done Sam! It looks great! (y)

Thank you again for your comments, I am looking forward to hearing any further comments from fellow TP users! :wave:

How did you manage the black background

It was luck more than anything! I'm not entirely sure how I did it, but when I adjusted the colour and exposure in Windows Photo Gallery (remember I'm a beginner) and it seemed to make the leaves brighter and the background darker! :shrug: I'm sure someone with knowledge on these things would be able to explain it!

Back