Beginner Autumn shots with my Niece who is blind and her mummy .. How I feel my work has progressed in 2 years ..

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

My niece was born blind, she is 5 years old, so she finds her surroundings very strange however deals with this very well as she is so confidant. Her eyes wonder as she can't look forward so I was giving her lots and lots of praise and making her laugh to show you guys her true personality. she is amazing and is inspiring to any human being.

I did my session with my Nikon d600 with a 70-200 f2.8 sigma os him lens, most images shot at around f3.2 as I find this is a genuine sweet spot for this lens for a lovely soft background and subject sharp.

All my edit work was done in lightroom/photoshop.

Lilly didn't feel comfortable leaving her mums side to far as I wanted to snap a picture on her own, so in the image on her own, I mirror imaged the image in photoshop to remove mum out of it.

I feel my work in the past 2 years has come on in leaps and bounds, my main reasoning for this is through taking advice and taking on constructive criticism, even though I've come on this far I still feel I need to post in here as this is where I first started out.

camera wise I started out with a Nikon d3300 with a kit lens, 35mm 1.8g and a Nikon vr 70-300 4.5-6.5, I then throughout my learning curve swopped up my lens's and went for a tamron 25mm-75mm f2.8 lens and a tamron 70-300 VC f4-5.6.

Through doing weddings etc I realised I needed to swop up my camera as I felt it was struggling with ISO performances in lower lit conditions, in my opinion it was only good for 1600 over that it was somewhat to grainy.

I decided to buy a Nikon d600 full frame, this camera changed my game massively, some people argued that I wouldn't see a difference however I have in most aspects, iso performance is amazing, the bokeh is superb, and its the next level. I do however regret selling my d3300 which I should have kept as a kit bag lens as a spare, so I went and got a d3400 to store in my bag as a back up camera and something I want to learn shooting videography with.

through this I then decided it was time to give up the tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 and I went and got a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 which is a superb lens, I can see why these are big money but I have come to learn that, in the long run, they are worth every penny, even if its for personal use and not doing any other stuff.

this is where I am at, at the moment, thanks for reading.

catherine & lilly autumn (1 of 1)-3 by damen ford, on Flickr

catherine & lilly autumn NEW (1 of 1)-3 by damen ford, on Flickr

catherine & lilly new (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

catherine & lilly autumn new kiss (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

catherine & lilly new new (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

catherine & lilly autumn new (1 of 1)-2 by damen ford, on Flickr

catherine & lilly (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

Lilly by damen ford, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a beautiful set of images and a lovely subject. Such a shame that she will never be able to see them :(

In a couple of them mum looks to be in sharper focus that the girl, but that might just be me or the fact that she is wearing glasses.

I actually like what you did with the last one, it sort of creates an arch around the little girl and makes her the focal point.

I would be pleased as punch if they were mine :)

What a beautiful set of images and a lovely subject. Such a shame that she will never be able to see them :(

In a couple of them mum looks to be in sharper focus that the girl, but that might just be me or the fact that she is wearing glasses.

I actually like what you did with the last one, it sort of creates an arch around the little girl and makes her the focal point.

I would be pleased as punch if they were mine :)

Thank you

you could be right i thought the same i think f3.5 would have nailed it, i know its a shame and her attention span was challenging because she cant see whats going on and just being told to smile, so its something she became very bored of very fast.

i had to promise her some sweeties and she was pleased as punch.

im over the moon with them and was nice to be able to test the sigma 70-200 f2.8

Your photography has come on in leaps and bounds Damen.

Yes, focus missed on a couple but as you say challenging subject.

I'd be happy with the majority of these shots. Especially 2, 3 & 5

Being super critical, just watch your backgrounds (not easy with a digital viewfinder) as "Mum" has trees growing out of her head in a couple.
It's so easy to miss these until you look at the full size image.
Really nice shots though.

Nice set. Number 1 for me is very special. Looks really nice and excellent choice of location coupled with her purple dress - really nice.
I personally shoot tighter compositions - but I really like what you’ve done in a lot of these.
Forests are difficult to shoot in - a times I would have moved the subjects into the light out of the shadows where possible.

That said - I’d be very happy with these

Nice set, lovely relaxed images, isn't the Rabbit Mimsy from the film? as for being blind do not give up hope, they can make the deaf hear, technology may well bring her sight in the future.

Back