Autumn Still Life

well - i'll be honest, I really like this one - even though its a fairly minimalist looking piece, there's strong lines in there... I dunno, maybe it's just something in my head, but i'd have liked to have seen either 3 or 5 leaves on the table. Somehow there's just something slightly more satisfying about odd numbered groupings of things if they're not regularly/geometrically arranged.

Good choice of the bottle/vase - it works well with the pale creamy background and table - it's somehow unusual to see something purporting to be Autumnal that's presented on a cool, clear setting like this - so many tend to go for warmer, darker, perhaps "cosier" looking tones, but this to me emphasises the contrasts colours of the fall...

Not at all what I expected to see - nothing like how i'd normally be portraying the season, but a very interesting take on the subject, and for that you're definitely to be commended in my view...

be warned that the other entries may be of swathes of trees and leaves
this stikes me as an entry for abstract...or miscellaneous...if you club has those entries
as a shot?
very catching..minimalistic with dynamics..it has the classic japanese feel for thought before eyes...
regarding composition...full marks for left to right reading and the curve points down and the frame feels adequately filled with pure detail..no clutter
the leaf at the vase....which looks so banal it doesnt interfere with the plant and supports it in many ways than one being grey....
the leaf..!! to avoid the quandary of numbers etc...i would play it safe and leave it in...as part of the vase base focal
good luck and cheers
geof...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do expect to see a glut of landscapes at our Autumn competition, hence one of the reasons for me to produce this image. Hopefully, it can provide a different take on the Autumn theme. That being said, I do look forward to our competition nights as some of the club members always surprise me with the originality of their photographs.

Regarding the numbers issue of this photograph. I did debate with myself as to whether I should add or remove a leaf. However, in the end, I decided that the vase itself is, in fact, the 5th element of the composition. There are 5 items on the table and for me this brings harmony to the image. I am interested to hear any further thoughts you have on this

Thanks again,

John

Back