Avast and Malwarebytes

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
So I ditched Norton and installed Avast and Malwarebytes, now the PC seems slower
Used the official removal tool for Norton and can't find any traces of it
Any ideas?

Have you run CCleaner?
Norton clings on and clings on, there maybe other 3rd-party cleaners that can complete the task.

Norton can be a pain to remove.

Personally, as soon as Windows Defender and the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool appeared on the approved list of AV options I could use I switched. Third party options seemed to always slow down the system eventually. Avast Pro played merry hell with software updates for me.

The latest Malwarebytes starts up right away and might be fighting with the Avast.

Suggest you remove the Malwarebytes and see how you get on.

Personally I gave up on Avast and now use Bitdefender.

What are your system resources in task manager saying is slowing things down?

Thanks Neil, could you be more specific please? I got task manager up (win 10) but not really sure what to look for!

A bit vague because I'm only an occasional W10 user (...I use it for Lightroom/Photoshop and now't else) but when you start Task Manager you should see a simple view that shows your running foreground applications. At the bottom of the dialog is a button to 'Show All Processes'. If you click that, you should see a table with all foreground/background processes, with columns for CPU, Disk, Memory etc. If you click the column headers, you can sort the processes by their CPU/Disk usage etc. Clicking and sorting the columns should give you an idea as to what the biggest resource hogs are.

Modern MalwareBytes does install memory resident realtime virus protection, so you probably don't need this as well as Avast. You can open the MalwareBytes panel and disable the realtime protection.

Quite honestly there's not an AV product out there that I like at the moment. They all seem to have there flaws. We rolled out BitDefender at work. It was problematic with the likes of OneDrive when users had lots of files. We switched out to Panda, purely because it could be installed via Group Policy. I've seen it irrecoverably trash one machine and cause problems with another.

Preferable to just rely on Windows Defender and practice safe browsing habits. I use Firefox with the 'noscript' plug-in to restrict java script etc. and always (always) type URLs (complete with the 'https') rather than click links etc.

Back