Avian Influenza

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought this might be interesting. I received a letter from the DEFRA today [UK Chief Vet] informing me that quote " your property is in, or very close to a declared A1 protection or surveillance zone"

We're not far from a pond/lake that has wildfowl on it..ducks- Heron-Little Egret-two swans and various birds of course including a lot of BH gulls and lately, a buzzard and two kingfishers..In bold letters was the fact that Avian influenza is 'low risk to humans' I've been asked to complete a survey of susceptible birds and they want to know if I.... "keep chickens-ducks-game birds-pigeons or other birds even if you only keep them as pets do we need you to take action" If I don't they request that I inform them if I find any dead waterfowl..swans-geese -ducks or other wild dead birds such as gulls or birds of prey. Must be quite serious.

We don't keep any chickens or birds and the Mallards that used to come to the garden pond..I counted 13 on the lawn one day..haven't been for three or four years.

Last edited:
It's very sad John.........I no longer keep poultry but it's a nightmare if one does. I'm pretty sure the Swans at Stratford on Avon have had it it's a distressing disease in every sense both for us, just as onlookers, beside what the poor birds go through.

Incredibly sad and to a layman seemingly worse each winter??

take care

stu

Back