Aviemore Osprey Hide

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
No
Good evening! This is my first post the forum after joining this evening.
I'll start with some images from earlier this year at Gordons Osprey hide.

My favourite raptor is the Osprey and my highlight of every summer is awaiting
the first arrival to my local area.
I like to shoot both hide and coastal/loch images to get a wide variety of images.

TalkPhotographyForum_20.jpgTalkPhotographyForum_32.jpgTalkPhotographyForum_54.jpgTalkPhotographyForum_18.jpgTalkPhotographyForum_5.jpgTalkPhotographyForum_27.jpg

Very nice close-up shots ... did you take any a bit wider?
Welcome to TP by the way ... look forward to seeing more of your work :)

Some excellent captures, excellent timing, a really good way to say hello to us all!

On a technical note, try and keep an eye on the WB, quite a lot of magneta in some of them

That said, san easy fix and keep them coming

Mike

Last edited:
Wow, and welcome abaord.

Some of the closest shots I've seen from that hide, a great set indeed. :clap:

First off
Welcome to the forum

Second, those are some amazing shots, especially the head on shots, you must be pretty close to them or have a 600mm lens at least.

Look forward to more of your images.

First off
Welcome to the forum

Second, those are some amazing shots, especially the head on shots, you must be pretty close to them or have a 600mm lens at least.

Look forward to more of your images.
Thank you Paul.

The Lochan is quite small with trees on one side and two hides sunk into ground to a couple of feet off eye level.
I use a Sony 200-600 G but it's a location where sometimes even 300mm can be too much.
I've gotten wet before from the Osprey diving so close and unable to get focus but that's quite rare unless it hits a fish
in the shallows on the hide side.

Thank you Paul.

The Lochan is quite small with trees on one side and two hides sunk into ground to a couple of feet off eye level.
I use a Sony 200-600 G but it's a location where sometimes even 300mm can be too much.
I've gotten wet before from the Osprey diving so close and unable to get focus but that's quite rare unless it hits a fish
in the shallows on the hide side.
wow, I would love to go there, you are very lucky to have such a cool place to go.

Welcome to TP Liam,
Nice images ( these and the squirrels) (y)

I did one of the hides in Aviemore a few years back. One dive with very little light in the 4 or 5 hours we were there. I got an ok shot but a very frustrating and pretty expensive morning. Anywhere you would recommend
Hi Simon, I've had a few days like that over the years shooting up at Gordons. It's frustrating when it happens.

Were you at the Rothiemurcus hide?

If you're close to Lossie or Spey Bay they are well worth a look at certain tide times. you don't always get a shot close to you but you usually see
a good few birds on the hunt.

Hi Simon, I've had a few days like that over the years shooting up at Gordons. It's frustrating when it happens.

Were you at the Rothiemurcus hide?

If you're close to Lossie or Spey Bay they are well worth a look at certain tide times. you don't always get a shot close to you but you usually see
a good few birds on the hunt.
Yes it was Rothiemurcus hide. Thanks for the tips I'll take a look

Yes it was Rothiemurcus hide. Thanks for the tips I'll take a look
Have a look at Aviemore Ospreys instead run by Gordon. If you get a s*** day there when the birds don't dive you don't pay.
Rothie don't care if you get photos or not. If Gordon sees that it's been a poor day with only one bird in the dark he'll usually try to
sort something out for you to get another visit.

Have a look at Aviemore Ospreys instead run by Gordon. If you get a s*** day there when the birds don't dive you don't pay.
Rothie don't care if you get photos or not. If Gordon sees that it's been a poor day with only one bird in the dark he'll usually try to
Thanks, I may well give it another go this year

That sounds to me like he is a genuine guy and not a person that is just out for the money when you have a crap day.

That sounds to me like he is a genuine guy and not a person that is just out for the money when you have a crap day.
Hi Paul, yes he's a lovely guy and makes a visit to the hide great fun. For someone that's not a photographer he gets as frustrated as anyone when things don't go to plan
and he knows his stuff about the Ospreys and their behaviour around the Lochan and really tries to give you the best possible chance of getting what you want.

Back