Avoid buying a camera with dead pixel?

Edit My Images
No
Was browsing around and found a nice low mileage D3 with extra for sale. Price is very good in my opinion but aftering reading more on the product description. It says "One dead pixel on lower left side of sensor, this is only really visible when using above ISO1600".

Should I avoid buying this camera because of 1 dead pixel?

I can't see how a dead pixel would have any effect on the image when printing or viewing at normal resolution.

Bob

I'm going to contact the guy to ask, if is just "one" dead pixel on the image, I'm ok to photoshop that in post consider it only occurs over 1600 iso.

In normal day light shooting, I won't even go pass 1000 iso.

I can't see how a dead pixel would have any effect on the image when printing or viewing at normal resolution.

Bob

If the OP is anything like me, that wouldnt be my first concern. I dont know very much about dead pixels (or why it happens), so id be wondering if this was the start of the camera going ...wrong.

I have no experience of it, so it may be just one of those things that happen, and the camera could go on to have very long, happy life :D

After reading some info on dead pixel it seems digital camera sensor will develop dead pixel at some point. Some will have it and some won't. It depends on when it occurs as well. I'm tempting to pull the trigger actually, most of the sports photo i do won't shoot higher then 1000 iso most of the time anyway. Can always use my d700 if dead pixel is a problem ........

Take a shot in RAW with your D700, view it at 100% and clone in a "dead pixel" before converting to JPG at your normal resolution....is it detracting from the shot?

Bob

I've pull the trigger on that D3. The D3 is low mileage (approx 47k actuation), 3x batteries and in good condition. I shoot day light sports mainly and I won't be shooting high iso so not much of a problem to me. I can always post process that dead pixel if needed anyway.

I did think about getting rid of my current D7000 but I think I will keep it for video since I do video occasionally.

D3/D700/D7000 is not a bad combination

Last edited:
Seem ok to me.

Bet you won't end up swapping batteries too often. One dead pixel really shouldn't be an issue. It can happen to even brand new cameras. (but I would probably return it if it were brand new!)

A really robust camera that is a joy to handle.

Enjoy!

I did think about the D300 as a cheap option but I opted that option out at the end because if my d700 goes down when shooting low light I won't be able to replicate that on a d300 because over 1600 iso on d300 it becomes noisy in low light. I use to own a d300 .....

With this D3. if anything goes wrong the second camera can produce the same image quality. Not to mention the D3 has 3x batteries and I i already got one for my d700 so 4x D3 batteries in total. Plenty enough for a D3 and my D700 as well.

I will see when the camera arrive this week to see if I'm totally happy or not hahahaha.

Can you not map dead pixels out in camera? I'm pretty sure at least some of my DSLR's could...???...

I don't have the camera yet. It should arrive this week, possibly tomorrow as well. I'm bought it from FFordes. I've rang the shop and asked about the dead pixel, the guy said is only visible from iso 1600 and is one dead pixel on the lower left side. Is a little white dot kind of thing. I mainly shoot day light sports so i won't even reach up to iso 1600, but if I do ever shoot in high iso I will put some time in post.

Excuse my stupidity, but if a D3 sensor has 12.1 million pixels how could one dead one be an issue?

I got the D3 with one dead pixel and 3x batteries, charger etc for £750. He said the camera is cheap because of the dead pixel. I also get 6 month warranty as well. This is from FFordes.

I guess for some it do bother them .......

I brought an Fuji XM-1 couldn't get on with due to no viewfinder,so decided to trade it in,the shop that looked at it said their were two faulty pixel that could go dead anytime,so they could only offer me rock bottom trade in :(.
Luckily it was under g/tee so sent it back :)

The D3 i purchase already mention a dead pixel before I purchase so the 6 month warranty is for anything else apart from the dead pixel. I'm ok with that anyway lol.

Just a question, is the dead pixel on the LCD screen or the sensor? Or have Ffordes said it's definately on sensor?

If on LCD theres no problem, only when reviewing photo after a shot. As been said, it shouldn't be a problem anyway even if on sensor.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like i will resell the camera for a long time. I don't need high mega pixel so the D3/D700 will serve me well.

Just a question, is the dead pixel on the LCD screen or the sensor? Or have Ffordes said it's definately on sensor?

If on LCD theres no problem, only when reviewing photo after a shot. As been said, it shouldn't be a problem anyway even if on sensor.

FFordes said is on the sensor, he said is only one white dot on the lower left of the sensor. He did say is something you probably won't notice unless you pixel peep or you know is their. He said it can be fix in post easily or if i shoot day light sport you won't hit that 1600 iso to trigger the pixel.

After reading the info on the internet, it seem this is very common, i may even have a dead pixel on my d700 and d7000 but i just don't know is their.

Last edited:
I certainly consider 760 inc p&p is a good price consider it only done 47k on the shutter, 2 extra batteries and not battered condition.

I suspect if most of us look on our cameras we would find the odd dead or hot pixels. One pixel will not be observable unless you are cropping A LOT or blowing up HUGE. Even then I am pretty sure that some interpolation software would fill in the gap using information from a nearby pixel or so anyway.

Last 3 cameras I've had have all had a few dead pixels from new. I'd be more surprised to see a camera without them than with them.

Most cameras have the odd dead pixel but you would never know as they are mapped out .It id possible to do this yourself with some cameras and software, though I have never needed to myself.

FFordes told me is Parcel Force Express 24. My delivery address is work address where I will be their from 8.00am-5.00pm. If they deliver after 5.00pm, I would be very p**s off.

FFordes told me is Parcel Force Express 24. My delivery address is work address where I will be their from 8.00am-5.00pm. If they deliver after 5.00pm, I would be very p**s off.

Between 7am and 6pm according to their website.

Delivery times
Deliveries to UK recipients in UK zones 1-3 are usually made between 7:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday, depending on the service selected. A Saturday service is available to the majority of UK destinations for an additional fee of £7.50 plus VAT per consignment. Deliveries are typically between 7.00 am and 1 pm.

International deliveries (zones 4 to 12) are made during standard business hours, which may vary from country to country.

Related articles

Looks like it will be tomorrow. I've only got the email saying is dispatch on 4.30pm yesterday (Monday). I know is parcel force's problem not FFordes :)

Most cameras have the odd dead pixel but you would never know as they are mapped out .It id possible to do this yourself with some cameras and software, though I have never needed to myself.

Agree that most cameras have some dodgy pixels. I don't know about mapping them out yourself but manufacturers will normally map out dead pixels before it leaves the factory.

If there are a small number of dead or warm pixels I wouldn't worry but it also depends how many and where they are. I recently returned a 7D Mark II (as advised by the Canon tech) that out of the box had a few hot pixels (always white) just under the centre AF point so couldn't miss them.

Here is iso 2000 shot with something abit dark in the lower left corner. That big silver thing on the lower left is not a dead pixel. Is the screw from my amp stand .......

ISO 2000:
DSC_7380 by p_li_2000, on Flickr

hahaha, no choice on the colour because i bought it use for a very cheap price. I would prefer a black ovation to behonest lol. I mainly play bass actually lol.

I really glad I pull the trigger on this D3, only down side is the 2x batteries is on life 3 and 1x is on life 2. Need to buy a few more now lol.

Back