Awesome GTi Summer Bash

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Like them all except 5 :)

No doubt distractions and other cars everywhere but no 2 as an example, the car jumps at me.

Nice man!

I apologise in advance for going against the other comments, but I think they could be much improved on. They currently just snap shots, very competent ones, but ultimately lacking a certain amount of interest unless you are an absolute VW nut. :(

OK, 1, 3 and 4 - basically, they are photos of a lights - beautifully in focus and sharp, but all with background clutter to some degree and lacking any kind of 'pzazz' - try getting the lights turned on, get in closer to lose the background, try some alternative angles instead of that straight on shot.

5 - much better by way of angle, using depth of field to lose the background stuff is great but focused on nothing of any interest, a tyre and wheelarch - I am sure the car had something more interesting?

6 - TBH - it would have been a more fun shot if the focus had been on the girls legs [albeit you would probably have got no end of stick for it :LOL: ] - yes, I can see its dropped and the wheels are up in the arches, so much so you have to assume it either never actually drives anywhere under its own steam, or its got some clever suspension that lifts when the engine is started, but again, its a record shot and thats it.

OK, I know that all sounds quite harsh but let me also add that if 'record' images were what you were after, then to a fair degree you have succeeded. The pictures are also sharp, well exposed and use of the CPL was a good idea.
However, if you want something that is photographically, dare I say it, even artistically, pleasing, then you need to get imaginative. These events are ALWAYS a nightmare to get inventive at, always too many people around and of course the clutter that accompanies people as well as other cars. It is doable though, look for more abstract angles, lines, use depth of field where needed, make them interesting to people who have spent WAY too many years looking at cars to be impressed by a tuned GTi (y)

Thanks for the input Yvonne! The only problem I had was that there are literally hundreds of people around, getting a clean shot of any of the cars is sometimes near on impossible and had to work with the fact that unless your a 'pro tog' with a media tabard people don't move :-( the cars were also so close together as the meet was in a car park on an industrial estate do with regards to the background again there wasn't much that I could do. The reason I focused on 5 is because of the 'stretched tyres.'

How would you recommend that I clear up the backgrounds etc with so many people and so little room?

Thanks again

Don't worry, I understand that completely, many years ago, during my married life, hubby was a classic car nut, spent way too many hours at car shows! Oh yeah, and been in the motor trade almost my entire working life too, for my sins.

So, first thing I would recommend is to fill the frame with the car - by all means get the record shots of the full car complete with people, but then, look for the interesting bits and get in close. So for example, lets take the yellow golf in the first pic. Headlights, when you look closely, are amazingly complex, so had you got more side on and in close [so that the grill disappears off to the back of the frame and oof] and focused on the actual facets of the lights - already more interesting and arty. if owner is around, ask nicely to turn a side light on and suddenly you have a chance of some interesting flare too...

Use reflections, so for example, if there is a really nice nice car reflected in a less interesting one and you can be patient for a few minutes until you can get a clean shot, focus on the reflection rather than eliminating it.

Look for tiny details, the sort of stuff most people would miss because they are too busy drooling over the entire car and focus in on those. Harder with these kind of cars I know because they are often debadged and generally trimmed down to look less cluttered, but some with have them. Also, swoopy styling lines going across an entire frame work really too, they become almost abstract.

Zoom lenses...how steady are you hands? :naughty: if you use a slower shutter speed, up the aperture to compensate the exposure, then twist the zoom as you click the shutter [use centre focus point to begin with, it takes some practice] you can get some really wacky fun effects - plenty of bin shots, but the odd one will look brilliant. Have a look at this blog post from a wedding I did, the last two photos used this technique on people, but nothing to stop you using it on a GTi badge, or a really cool alloy wheel http://www.whitegoldimages.co.uk/fun-wedding-photography-at-fanhams-hall-in-hertfordshire/

Finally, YES, the crowds are a nuisance, but you are stuck with them, so use them, photograph the people too, obviously discreetly, look for expressions, humour, enjoyment, emotion and grab it (y)

I hope that helps a little and gives you some ideas. I do know it is difficultand technically there is absolutely nothing wrong with your photographs, but having a play without any pressure to produce stunning photos is the best way to learn what can be done. :D

Thanks Yvonne really appreciate the advice! I'll look into different angles rather than the straight on **** from now on. I very rarely shoot car shows its jut my friend went in his so I went along, I usually shoot individual cars without crowds which is ALOT easier! Ha!

Back