SJB_1164.jpg

barn owl.
SJB_0863.jpg

lanner falcon.
SJB_0894.jpg

gyr x saker falcon
SJB_1234.jpg

Last edited:
A bit awkward clicking on the links each time. Interesting stuff though :)

You might want to limit the size to 800 pixels on the longest side (forum rulz) if you post the photos here.

Some cracking shots there Scott.
I thought the forum was now 1024 on the long side.

How about posting them in the pets and trips to the zoo section?

They are certainly not wild and free birds.

Last edited:
Captive bird photographs should be in the zoo section,end of, they are certainly not worthy of the bird forum.

But if you get off on it, then so be it.

Captive bird photographs should be in the zoo section,end of, they are certainly not worthy of the bird forum.

But if you get off on it, then so be it.

No one told me to post my harris hawk and gyr falcon in the zoo section.....can't have one rule for one and one rule for other posters. Also, you'll see a purple coot above in this section - I hope you won;t discriminate and go and tell them to clear off to the "correct" section too :)

my preferred choice would be portrait for captive BOP's,and these just look superb.

I just don't see the need for any aggro at all here. :shrug:

I must admit I don't go out of my way to shoot captive birds, but no doubt I would if I was at a venue where that sort of activity was taking place, and there are some very nice shots here. (y)

I think we need to remind ouselves sometimes that we're photographers first and foremost - aren't we? :thinking:

Last edited:
I think you've overstepped the mark here Ade. You don't set the rules here and the rules don't say that captive birds can't be in birds. I've posted some here previously (and will do again) but have never been told off for it! Just because a picture is captive doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile - as is shown in publications like BBC Wildlife, that use captives when appropriate.

Anyway, on to the pictures. I think in general they suffer from you looking down on the bird rather than getting on their level. I think the Euro eagle owl would be much improved without the person behind (although it may not always be possible)

I think the burrowing owl against the sky is the strongest of the set.

Lovely shots Scott and well sharp. I agree with Paul about the pov but there will always be another time eh? ;)

Back