B&W bird's view

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Some of my recent b&w from last proper holidays.
any comments of b&w conversion? I was going for a dramatic intentionally slightly darker style.

Constructive comments welcomed:

1)
8232591712_8a9a81418d_b.jpg

2)
8232591778_a3d5fab999_b.jpg

3)
8231530225_2b2c7df047_b.jpg

4)
8231530297_c1b151f821_b.jpg

I like 1, 2 and 4, but I hate the tilt on the shot of christ the redeemer...sorry.

Wished I could say something more positive than where you aiming for a circa 1940's nostalgia result?
The subject matter just doesn't have any oomph to drive through the scene.

Like 2 & 4, specially the concentric lines of buildings in 2. Again, don't like the tilt in 3 and 1 seems to be a bit too dark and dingy for the subject.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get on wandering around Rio with a DSLR? Did you ever feel like someone was eyeing it up if you know what I mean? Reason being, I'm going to the Carnival in February and the Mrs is telling me not to take the camera for fear if being mugged. Please PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread.

Thanks for all the responses. On reflection I think I agree with comments about No3 - tilt does not work. It is a shame though that most of you dont like the low key "1940's" as said by PJS look. I was a bit bored with all the punchy, HDRy in your face incredibly sharp, precise and detail focused images, and wanted to try something else.Appreciate all the comments though.
afrothunder88: I went to Rio from Brasilia, where I was staying with my Brazilian friend. When I told him I am going to Rio he said "watch out and be careful".
So I was. At the beginning I kept dslr in a backpack most of times and took it out only to take photos. After few days however I had more confidence and kept it on my neck, as you do elsewhere,but with one hand placed on it when in crowdy places. Towards the end of the stay we (me and wife) walked through the city centre (from Sugar Loaf to Santa Teresa) at night and the only people who approached us were other tourists asking for directions or locals asking if they can help... yes we did look a bit lost at times :) We usually used main roads and avoided small dark alleys at night, but that is just common sense. Generally, common sense and you will be fine - don't blame me if you get mugged though as Rio may be a bit crazy during Carnival :) All in all, it is a ones in a lifetime opportunity, I would risk it!

Back