Critique B&W Conversion

BMG

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I am looking for some feedback on the B&W conversion (as well as the usual critique, although I know the bench behind her is distracting, it is almost impossible to get a photo of this one).

As always thank you for looking.
lottie in the Garden B&W.jpg

Nice, natural and casual portrait. Just a personal view, but I think an image needs to have certain attributes to make a black and white conversion 'work'.

Either a high contrast image where conversion would bring out some features and remove some coloured distractions, or an 'out of time' image where b&w helps to create a sense of time.

I suspect that your image would be better in full colour?

Evening, thank you for taking the time to reply and I appreciate your feedback. if I can find a simple way to re-size for here I will post colour for comparison.

yes...i think to see the colour would help

black to white conversion by whatever we use relies on quite a lot of trial and error...each shot requires one sometimes to break new ground
presets are....well presets
anyway who uses black and white film now so one cant compare with the options...certainly not tri-x and faster

i usually start with brightness..then contrast..then structure...when using silver efex..
for outdoors and sky images perhaps a filter...red to start with..

my phone has two presets...one is black to white and the other is contrast
sometimes they give me what i think is good...but it comes down to the subject matter

hi ho...where have all the old guys gone
cheers
geof

Back