B&W: Emily and Mel

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
C and C please, very new to all this so after some constructive help please.

Christmas2011023-2.jpg

059-2.jpg

Great pics - particularly like no.2! One of those pictures that makes you smile :)

In terms of critique, two things about picture no.1 - first is the person in the background making dinner (so maybe think a little bit more about the background) and second is that the girl on the right - part of her dress is blown/overexposed (although could be recoverable in post processing). But two minor points overall.

Crop the first shot in much tighter, too just above the girls heads and to the left hand shoulder of the girl on the right. Love the 2nd though.

Thanks for your comments.

@ Dunky, My mother-in-law pointed out her backside as soon a she saw the image :LOL: but it's good advise about the background as I was only really focusing in the kids and trying make the shot more interesting (i.e. not centralized)
And the blown/overexposed dress, I was trying to get a real high contrast, especially between the black cardigan and white dress, but I think I've over done it a bit.

If I thought the taking of shots was hard the processing is even harder :)

no 2 conveys joy
no 1 conveys friendship but has a bit of clutter around...the person at the back for instance
tightening up to just the two heads would come of even with some cutting in...
the treatment is very 50's and so is softer and more photogenic than the razor sharp ultra contrast one sometime sees produced by high performance camera kits
cheers
geof

OK, cropped and tried to get a bit of detail back into the dress, not sure if I've gone too much the other way now and lost some of the brightness. I do like the composition though, being tight in.
Christmas2011023-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
I also like the edited version! It makes for a more intimate photo which, given the theme of the picture, suits it well.

Back