B+W portrait, close up , very sharp.

Edit My Images
Yes
You know those photos of a face, black and white, very sharp, crisp and almost 3 dimensional? is there a technique to get these shots?
Edit to add, usually hairy or wrinkly faces seem to be best for this type of shot.

Side lighting is the key - that way, even the slightest dent in the skin throws a clear shadow.

This is not really on topic but maybe something to consider...

Years ago I had a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and at that time it was probably the sharpest lens I'd ever had. I took a picture of my then GF with it on my Canon 20D DSLR and when I saw the result I was shocked and I realised that a picture can perhaps be so sharp that it's unflattering for pictures of your GF :D Since then I haven't really worried about sharpness and I do think that for some pictures less sharpness can lead to a more pleasing picture :D

You know those photos of a face, black and white, very sharp, crisp and almost 3 dimensional? is there a technique to get these shots?
Edit to add, usually hairy or wrinkly faces seem to be best for this type of shot.
Do you mean the Dragan Effect?

This will be a combination of hard light and aggressive processing.

The processing alone on a soft lit image won’t work, and the lighting alone probably won’t give you quite the look.

Back