B&W starter kit and chemicals

Name
Two Dogs....
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at going film recently and I have to say the thought of doing my own developing is a massive attraction. Given that I work for a chemical company I figure I can cut costs by blending my own materials. I've ordered a copy of teh Darkroom Cookbook to get formulations for developers and fixers etc.

Below is a list of stuff that I figure I'm going to need:

# Developing Tank
# Thermometer
# Storage Bottles
# Sponge
# Funnel
# Graduates Set
# Film Clips
# Developer
# Fixer
# Stop Bath
# Film can opener

I lifted this of another website. Given my resources I think I can safely supply pretty much everything except the developing tank and the can opener. To start with I think I'll proly buy the developers etc. but might move onto blending them myself.
I've got a fairly extensive chemical background so I think the challenge of blending my own developers etc. will be lmost as much fun as taking the pictures for a chemical nut like myself.

Also, does anyone have any suggested developers for me to try out?

Are the developer formulations in the book liable to be any good? I'm a pretty darn good chemist and have wielded a 5-place balance in anger more than once, and we've got a couple of spare temp controlled baths (most are only heating baths, but one of them can chill down to -18!).

Am I being a bit nieve about this?

1/ Do not forget the changing bag.
2/ If you use Ilford films you do not need the can opener.
3/ If you want to start mixing chemicals, go for ID11 and its Kodak equiv D76

Spirals to load the film on to, to go in the developing tank.
You don't need temp controlled baths for b/w, its developed at 20 degrees/room temperature, unless you want to.
Personally, during winter when the incoming water is really cold for rinses, I fire the boiler up and use a mixer tap to take the edge off the temperature..:)

I'm kinda missing the point with mix-up developers, there are too many ready mixed liquid ready to go one shot no faffing developers straight out the bottle available to mess about mixing stuff up.

I had a wee scout around after seeing another recomendation for the ID-11 and found the equivalency and from that a formulation. I'm hoping I'll be able to blag most of the materials as samples from our suppliers. Failing that it'll be a chat with our shipping guy and an order in to Alfa Aesar.

Thanks for the tip. I'll add the bag to my list :)

Would something like these be okay for the developing tank? There seems to be a good selection, would a particular model be better?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Assorted-deve...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Joxby, your talking to a chemist. Not one of those guys who gives out Ibuprofen either. I'm a proper crazy-haired, zero sense of smell kind of chemist. The kind who don't clean their lab coats, they burn them. Mixing chemicals is one of the fun things in my life. Photography AND chemicals? Yes please!

Oh and Joxby your pictures are astounding. Really mind blowing stuff some of the ones in the big picture list!

Tank looks ok, I dunno, I've tried a few and always found the Patterson system 4 tanks to be reliable and easy to use.

Oh, I see.....you LIKE mixing chemicals, well its not my bag, but I shoot film so I know where you're coming from :LOL:

There's a big picture list :thinking:

The 'Show us yer film shots' thread = big picture list.

Would you happen to have any suggestions about what film to use? I've got 2 rolls of mint HP5+ which I got free when I bought some colour stuff from boots.

I did spot 2 FP4 and 2 FP5 rolls on ebay for £5 for the lot. Would this be a good buy? its OOD but has been allegedly kept in a fridge.

Yeah, it should be ok.
I'd use any of the top branded B/W's, I like Fuji acros 100 and FP4 125 for slow stuff, Gandi and Raa are getting some nice tones out of slow Adox too.

FP5 400 mid range and Fuji 1600 or Ilford 3200 for fast grainy

What format are we shooting ?

Anti static wetting agent to prevent drying marks?

Shooting 35mm. I've got an old chinon at the mo which has a 50mm and 28mm lens. I've got a Nikon EM (free with lens) incoming.

At the moment though, am waiting for a forum member to get back to me about an Nikon N90s they have for sale. That way I can use my D70s lenses with it.
Think i'll sell the chinon and the lenses (come to think of it I've got a Minolta MZ-50 somewhere with a 35-80 too). Though it does take a decent picture

Back