B29 Superfortess - Crash site

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Today, with Gazedd, I visited the B29 crash site near Glossop in the Peak District, after an hour or so walking from the A57 we found the site.. and fell eerily silent. A very atmospheric place to be... more info can be found here and of course on Google.

On to the pictures... I haven't creatively edited a picture in ages so some might be a bit off! All lit with a single off camera flash apart from the memorial shot. It's the first time in ages I've actually been taking pictures for the pleasure of it actually.. so be nice! :p

1)
PHI_0394.jpg

2)
PHI_0408.jpg

3)
PHI_0410.jpg

4)
PHI_0249.jpg

5) Team photo... well, half of us!
PHI_0318.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures, I wouldn't mind going there with my mate to have a look!

I think the memorial shot might look better with a darker sky like the one in 2, although im guessing that was shot later on. Just think it would add to the atmosphere :)

Nice pictures, I wouldn't mind going there with my mate to have a look!

I think the memorial shot might look better with a darker sky like the one in 2, although im guessing that was shot later on. Just think it would add to the atmosphere :)

Cheers :) Yes I totally agree.. it was shot earlier on, before we walked up to the trig point for lunch! There were passing showers (as in, missed us by meters! They also provide the darker backgrounds in the other shots) and the light was forever changing. I'll definitely be revisiting myself at some point :)

interesting photos, love the idea!! also very interesting visiting the link... very good. gonna be heading up there myself as soon a i can, thanks for sharing your photos and for letting us know about a good historical site.

out of interest, is it completely open to walka round?

Also is it free of rubbish or have people violated it.

lucky with the showers missing you!! The changing light must have got a bit irritating

Completely open to walk about and absolutely no rubbish. Its at a distance from the road where you can access it within an hours walk, but its to far for the kids just to go an knock about.

We had problems with the clouds constantly allowing the sun to fade in an out but luckily we misses 2 very big rain clouds.

we were only talking about this site today at work ! weird or what ?

excellent photos , very well done esp #1 #2 and #3

is it easy to find ?

is it easy to find ?
If you know the point to head towards then yes, i would say that there are some tricky marshy/muddy bits to navigate around but as you can see from the shot of me above, I'm not the slimmest of chaps and I did just fine*...

*Disclaimer, I did nearly loose my boot when I took my eye off the ground and placed it in a deep hole in the ground, dislodging hundreds of year old mud and it stunk! I did however manage to pull my leg out and carry on just fine.

interesting photos, love the idea!! also very interesting visiting the link... very good. gonna be heading up there myself as soon a i can, thanks for sharing your photos and for letting us know about a good historical site.

All I can advise is don't trust the weather reports :LOL: Weather changes quick up there! Have fun :)

out of interest, is it completely open to walka round?

Also is it free of rubbish or have people violated it.

lucky with the showers missing you!! The changing light must have got a bit irritating

Yes it is on Shelf Moor, and is classed as public access land so you're free to wander to your hearts content - take usual precautions though as it can be quite boggy in places, as Gaz found out ;)

The site has been left as a memorial, the wreckage left is too big to remove although I have no doubt that souvenir hunters have taken bits over the years. Still plenty left to see though! As it is fairly off the beaten track, only those who know of its existence really go up there.. and those tend to be the experienced walkers who respect the countryside so litter is pretty much non-existant!

There is info on a circular route here, but we parked on the A57, and walked northwards up the Pennine trail for a mile or so, then headed westwards towards the rocky summit which is quite obvious! The path up there is non-exsistant after a while though and it's a case of picking your way though!

There is around 50 crash sites from the past 80 years dotted around.. this is one of the biggest/more 'preserved' ones.. I'm hoping to get to some of the others over Summer!

Last edited:
Back