'Baby Amp'

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Pictures of my little baby Marshall, my other amp is far too cumbersome to try and manipulate into aesthetically appealing positions so I used my old 15W-er. I quite like the outcomes. This is all in preparation of my first music photography gig. I was shooting with only a shaded light and a bedside lamp to try and give some indication of how hard low light shooting is. I had to jack it up to ISO 1600 to get some reasonable shutter speeds.

I'm also looking at 55mm 1.8s, from the music photography guides I've read they seem like a good starting position, especially at small venues where your legs can do the zooming. As well as any criticism, what are peoples thoughts on the 55mm lenses out there?

4304440564_e7f0c59175_o.jpg

4303696273_1495a26fea_o.jpg

I prefer the lighting on the first, but I intend to use these as a banner for my music photography portfolio when it eventually gets created so I'm thinking chunky white lettering on the darker picture may look better. Only time will tell.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Nice shots mate, but I noticed your Marshall only goes up to 10. Mine goes up to 11.
Well, it's one louder, isn't it? (It's a quote from the movie Spinal Tap in case you haven't seen it and was wondering what I was going on about!) : )
I prefer the lighting in the first shot too..a bit warmer.
The 50mm f1.8 is a nice wee lens..think you will like it.

:O I would hope that anyone who owns an amplifier has seen Spinal Tap at least 14 times. I dedicate this photo to the beautiful piece of music that is "Suck My Love Pump". I've actually seen amps that go up to 11, of course they are only in the classiest music shops.

hehehe up to 11 Indeed :)

I must admit, I've contemplated taking the main head/amp out of my 30th Anniversary Marshall and then taking a shot of those lovely glowing valves. You're inspiring me with these shots :)

I really like the top part with the dials, not sure I like the white writing, not sure why just prefer the dials :)

Aw really? I quite liked the writing, well in the first at least. Though it added a bit more contrast to the colour. I agree it can be a bit distracting and the dials were the intended focus. Might try a recrop to focus solely on the dials.

@Ian damn you and your valve amp, mocking all us peons with rubbish equipment :p A nice atmospheric shot of the valves could look absolutely stunning mate.

Heh hey there's nothing bad to be said about non-valve amps :) some of those sound darn good

Back