Baby Photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any tips for taking pictures of new born babies as I have one to do soon for a relative? I was going to go down the natural light road, try to use a few props and mix a few black and white etc. Cheers

Keep him/her warm, it's going to take you longer than you think, feed before you get there and if you are going naked, just have spare blankets ready. I haven't done it for a few years and only for a family member too so have fun, I used a beanbag and towels for positioning too

I did it once, lit with a large Octa as I thought I had enough to worry about without messing with lighting. And all of what Jon said, but don’t try anything complicated, most newborn poses aren’t ‘safe’ if you don’t know what you’re doing.

As long as you realise that most of the spectacular newborn photos you’ve seen are composites, with the support removed in post, so KISS.

We recently had one done by our wedding photographer. He had the setup for new born originally, but our son is 5 months. But his original set up was the soft box off camera flash. He had the modeling lamp on aswel. Heaters on. Flash coming in from above at 45 degree angle then he had a raised soft area for the newborn covered with a cream or white fluffy throw.

Now as new parent I would bring extra throws aswel to wrap and prop the baby with. If your doing skin shots Henry hated been in the nude for more than a few minuites even in the summer he got cold so fast. So might be worth planning the awake shots first and assume their going to scream the place down then nap. Then get your snoozey shots.
I am only a hobbyist photographer by the way but hopefully any tips from my experience last week can help.

Back