Beginner Back Button Focussing Technique

I always wondered what all the fuss was about ref BBF but once I tried and got used to it I could never go back it just feels so natural now

I always wondered what all the fuss was about ref BBF but once I tried and got used to it I could never go back it just feels so natural now

I agree. I'm using bbf all the time now and I'm now really used to it. I ditched the eyecup as it doesn't twist round for portrait shots. I've now found a way to position my thumb so it doesn't get in the way so much.

OK, I'll give a new thumb position a try. As my thumb knuckle digs into my nose at the moment. I hope I don't end up looking like someone with an iPhone trying to get a signal.

I use my left eye and i find that the nose fits nicely between the VF and the thumb. I also find that by using BBF I get a better grip on the camera.

Can someone please explain, in a nutshell, why would one choose to BBF rather than the normal way?

Automatic focus can get it wrong. So if you discover the AF is wrong at the very second you take a picture, it's too late.
If you can focus in advance, you have a chance to refocus if it's not ideal. You can then relax and concentrate on composition or getting the moment right.

Last edited:
So is BBF a manual way of focusing?
No. It's AF, but at the moment 'you' choose.
Real manual focus is when you turn off the AF, and turn the lens focus ring until you think the bit you want, is sharp.

Last edited:
Yes. The link reminded me that you can take a picture quicker as there is no delay while the AF focuses. As it is already done.

An alternative to BBF is to press Focus Lock. (AFL). I press the Manual Focus button to lock the focus, as I can't use BBF easily as my nose gets in the way. Have you seen my giant nose? No. It's a combination of the button position and being left eyed.

Last edited:
I actually find it quite difficult using a. Camera with traditional focus set now

Back