Back in the game

Gary Coyle

In Memoriam
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Not professionally but more out of boredom and the fact the wife has changed jobs which involves her working probably every other weekend so will be at a loose end, just going to shoot the amateurs, just invested in a 400mm f/2.8 VR to go with my D750 but will also look to pick up a good D3S for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII or a D500 to match with the 400mm for Cricket coverage, will try speaking to contacts at local papers to see if theres any interest in paying for a few images but if not then so be it, im not getting back into it for the money and will limit myself to fair weather shooting (i dont like the cold now im older)

Wondering if the wide AF points on the D500 will be a game-changer for sport (excuse the pun) :)

I asked someone about doing cricket and they told me not to bother.They said "you have to photograph every over just in case" so the shutter count on the camera goes through the roof.

I wondered what you were up too from my daily noisy at the Nikon classifieds :)

I asked someone about doing cricket and they told me not to bother.They said "you have to photograph every over just in case" so the shutter count on the camera goes through the roof.
Nah, depends on wether or not youre earning a living from it or not, when i covered ot a few seasons ago i would average 5-600 images, dont forget local league cricket is a 40 over game played over no more than 4-5 hours o you could just turn up for the last 10 overs of the first innings as the opening batting side look to pile on the runs and leave themselves open to making mistakes trying to keep the scoreboard turning over, then your knowledge of the teams can come into play by deciding when to come back in the second innings, usually between overs 20-40 means lots of flashing willow blades as the run chase is on

http://gcphotography9757.zenfolio.com/p94077085

Last edited:

I do cricket every summer for years.. you might do every over if its your first day maybe haha.. once you pick it up then you know when to shoot and when not..

Not professionally but more out of boredom and the fact the wife has changed jobs which involves her working probably every other weekend so will be at a loose end, just going to shoot the amateurs, just invested in a 400mm f/2.8 VR to go with my D750 but will also look to pick up a good D3S for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII or a D500 to match with the 400mm for Cricket coverage, will try speaking to contacts at local papers to see if theres any interest in paying for a few images but if not then so be it, im not getting back into it for the money and will limit myself to fair weather shooting (i dont like the cold now im older)

If you want to do some league or championship footy on spec or for your local paper then see me mate.. ...

and hey...in the 7 or 8 years I have had my licence.. your only the third person I have trusted to make that offer to BTW :)

If you want to do some league or championship footy on spec or for your local paper then see me mate.. ...

and hey...in the 7 or 8 years I have had my licence.. your only the third person I have trusted to make that offer to BTW :)
Appreciated mate, but i hate football.

Glad the title wasn't Back ON the game - that would've been misleading!

Having not shot any sport at all for 6 months I'm going back into it tonight too. Guiseley AFC vs Tranmere Rovers. Hope I remember what to do! Still need to line up some rugby but been too busy moving house over the past few weeks. Good luck Gary! (ah, sorry no luck involved! :p )

Back