back to basics

Edit My Images
No
Two rolls of Neopan needed processing yesterday so I loaded the dark bag. First roll went on a treat, the second one jammed. I don't know whether it was damp or a ball bearing was sticking but it was the kind of mistake I made in 1975, not 2010.
In the end I had to remove it three times and some frames are still blotchy where film has touched with plenty of half-moon creases. My hands were getting sweatier all the time too. Oh well, a reality check I suppose.

That's happened me a couple of times now... What's the best advice to stop it happening? Practice? :LOL:

If it was anything like the temperatures/humidity we were having here I think the reels would have been sweating themselves :LOL: It's this kind of weather that I'm glad i've got a light-tight loft where I can load films etc. rather than use the changing bag. Palms are getting damp at the thought of the bag as I type :LOL:

Well I took the spirals apart and left them outdoors on the window ledge all day to dry. Then got a 6B pencil and gave the bearings a good scribble.
As TBY said it's probably the humidity in the bag that caused it but we shall see next time.

Try cutting the corners off the film leader if it sticks.

Like you I remember this problem back in the days, and found it quite frustrating. Chamfering the corners of the film leading edge used to help, but I still had problems when developing several films, and rushed the drying process of the spiral before using it again. Nothing guaranteed to make a film jam more than a damp spiral.

In the end I swapped over to a manual feed stainless spiral. It took some getting used to when trying to load a film for the first time, but soon became second nature. The other advantage is that it used a lot smaller tank, so extended the life of chemicals as well, as it didn't use as much for each film.

Stainless spirals are something I've tried before but never got on with, perhaps because I haven't persevered long enough. If plastic spirals are totally clean and dry you can normally push a 35mm film on while keeping the edges under tension and just finish the last foot or so with a twisting motion.

The best B&W printers I know standardise on one film, one developer and honed exposure practice. I've tended to be a materials tart but I'm setting up a new darkroom and want to stop bad old habits but I'm obviously a bit rusty.

Back