Back to Canon, but which glass?

Edit My Images
No
Hello all, I'm going to do a dangerous thing and ask advice on my first post :thumbsdown:, but I've been googling all night and still haven't got a definitive answer. If its any consolation this hopefully also acts as a bit of an intro.

Situation: my Nikon got sacrificed at a Motocross event and t' wife has always preferred Canon, so we've plumped for the 50D. Trouble is, I'm in two minds between the 18-200 kit lens and a couple of cheap Sigmas (18-50 and 70-300). They'll be a stop-gap until I can get some decent glass (probably starting with a 1.4 50 prime for portraits) but neither of us like the smaller bodies so most of the budget gets blown on the body for now.

All sorts of photography, I do some event stuff for friends and some sports events (mainly motocross and mountain biking) but nothing professional. Keen to get into doing some more landscapes (have just moved to the Peak District) and hopefully some nature stuff when I get a chance. For completeness I use (poorly at the moment but getting better) CS4 and print to a3+ using a K8600 (not ideal, but usable and free...)

Many thanks in advance

Welcome Vytalis :)

There's a similar post to yours running here, and the OP has decided not to get the Canon 18-200, but go instead with the Canon 18-55 IS kit, plus Canon 55-250 IS.

There are pros and cons to either route, but if cost is a consideration, the 18-55 plus 55-250 option wins every which way (except on convenience, obviously).

I would stick with Canon for both quaility and resale value.

If you can stretch to them I'd recommend the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS - you'll never regret buying the best glass

www.adamcoupe.com

The first one is on the shopping list for later but will need to replenish the coffers from the 50D purchase (can't do it in one hit sadly). I've also got my eye on the 200mm 2.8L prime (mainly cos its quite a bit cheaper than the 70-200) but again quite happy to be talked out of it. Can you see the theme (£££) here?

I wouldn't get too excited about the 50mm F1.4 - get the F1.8 to start with.

i have the 40D which i think gives that little bit better results with "cheaper" glass, the 50D, as has been mentioned already, needs top shelf glass to take advantage of the extra pixels, with a 40D you can use lower spec lenses and get excellent results, that way you can build up to L glass as you get the spare cash

You have lots to think about Vytalis best of luck which ever way you go, good advice on here. :)

I use the 200mm 2.8 prime and love it - you could pick a second hand MK1 version up for a good price. I find it works quite well with the 2x extender too, not sure how it would be on the 50D though!

The 70-300 IS lens is a good lens, if you can't afford to buy L (y)

Back