Back to real basics.

that ill be b/s then . wouldnt get an image like that straight onto the film ( unless ive missed the lens )

Yep

There is a slightly bigger one here

that ill be b/s then . wouldnt get an image like that straight onto the film ( unless ive missed the lens )
Its your comment thats b/s. I have used pinhole cameras ( ie a camera WITHOUT a lens ) for many years and so have many other people.

Not aimed personally at you but I really worry for the future of photography ( ie the production of images with some artistic and/or scientific value) as opposed to snapshots when somebody who bothers to post on a site like this one, lacks knowledge of such a basic thing as pinhole cameras. Thats the digital age I suppose - no need to understand technique, just take hundreds of images and throw away the ones that didn't work.

And this Aprils participant gallery, on world pinhole day, all 2630 of em

Ere, I made one yonks back, for my D70, out of an old body cap, the pics were horrendous...:LOL:....I think my hole was too big, and the rubble on the ccd..:shake:

30xhawg.jpg

x0r8cp.jpg

Interesting post.

One question with the home made camera. How does the user know when he's moved the film on a whole frame? I guess the same way a 35mm camera does? Which is how?

Thanks in advance!

its brilliant, i love the concept

but the hole does look to large to me?

yeah, you need a tiny, and I mean tiny hole, I've seen peeps use tinfoil with a pinprick hole, mines a 1mm drill, miles too big.
There's a pinhole calculator on Mr pinholes page, to get the optimum pinhole diameter for a give focal length, the focal length being the distance from the sensor or film to the pinhole.
For a 50mm focal length, the pinhole must be 0.3mm, which is a f/ value of..............f/168...:LOL:
1mm is like...f/50 or something

Its your comment thats b/s. I have used pinhole cameras ( ie a camera WITHOUT a lens ) for many years and so have many other people.

Not aimed personally at you but I really worry for the future of photography ( ie the production of images with some artistic and/or scientific value) as opposed to snapshots when somebody who bothers to post on a site like this one, lacks knowledge of such a basic thing as pinhole cameras. Thats the digital age I suppose - no need to understand technique, just take hundreds of images and throw away the ones that didn't work.

put you wooden shoes on.

ok i take the b/s bit back as ive just seen the actual pinhole:confused: ( didnt have me glasses on when i looked at the picture originally , or something ) :exit:

Interesting post.

One question with the home made camera. How does the user know when he's moved the film on a whole frame? I guess the same way a 35mm camera does? Which is how?

Thanks in advance!

the whole film can be exposed ,the fames are not actually there in the first place ,so its not like you have to line up the frames in front of the lens ,the black lines between frames are unexposed bits of film . ( im sure someone will jump in and tell me if im talking bull**** )

the whole film can be exposed ,the fames are not actually there in the first place ,so its not like you have to line up the frames in front of the lens ,the black lines between frames are unexposed bits of film . ( im sure someone will jump in and tell me if im talking bull**** )

Ahhh. The penny clicks. Thanks!

I used some film once in my Clack.......:cautious:.....that didn't have frame numbers on the backing paper.
That was a right cow, guessing how long 90mm was (it was a 6x9 camera), it was easy for the first 2 frames, after that there was more film wound on to the take-up spool, therefore the diameter was bigger so more film was wound on for the same guestimate turn of the winder.
Think I only got 4 1/2 shots, and 2 of those were double expose overlapped..:LOL:

23rpct5.jpg

:razz:

am i the only one that likes daisies ?

wow, those are bendy.
Is it the curve of the film flat against the inside of the tin.
I suppose its just the same as a fisheye front element bending light..

(y)

Those first two are incredibly sharp for a pinhole camera. nice one!

wow, those are bendy.
Is it the curve of the film flat against the inside of the tin.
I suppose its just the same as a fisheye front element bending light..

(y)

Yep, the tin makes the fisheye effect, it's awesome and slightly surreal! Just my style :)

Those first two are incredibly sharp for a pinhole camera. nice one!

Thanks, first pinhole this one too, so I was pleased! Fortunately the exposures are 30s-1min so little time to move!

Wow, i had no idea you could do this kind of thing! I'd love to make one myself!! How exactly would i go about making one? Is it really hard to do? Grant, your pictures look amazing!!

It's easy, there are loads of websites around to help you if need be.

Basically you need a completely lightproof box. Biscuit tin, that kind of thing, or make one if you have the time and inclination.

Paint it matte black inside, make a hole in one side, then take some tin foil, make a hole in that with a pin (pinhole geddit?). This tiny hole has to be as round as possible, any imperfections will have an affect on image quality. Then fix the foil over the inside of bigger hole. Then fashion a shutter out of some card or electrical tape so you can cover the pinhole from the outside.

Put some paper opposite the pinhole inside, close it up (all done in the dark). Take it outside, point it at something and open the shutter. Job done.

There are formulas for working out the size your pinhole should be, take a guess at about 0.5mm for your standard shoebox, then you work out the aperture by measuring the distance in millimeters from the hole to the film/paper plane. Divide this by the size of your pinhole and that gives you your aperture to calculate the exposure time. Typically photographic paper is about 12 ISO I think?

Back