Back to the Peak!

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
After a few months away from the Peak District, I thought I'd have a little jaunt over to Mam Tor (I know, I know...) yesterday morning as the forecast looked promising for some inversion awesomeness. It wasn't a full inversion which was a shame, but some slow moving mist in and around Castleton and Hope made for some nice scenes. Made a change to be home in under a hour instead of 8. :D

#1 - First thing

A Serene Scene
by David Raynham, on Flickr

#2 - The mists started to thicken up in places as the temperature picked up. It was still frosty in the valley.

Mist Drift

#3 - :rolleyes:

Wonderland

Thanks for looking, c&c welcome as always.

David.

I'd have to pick Wonderland as the stand out image here. Nowt wrong with the other 2, but 3 is very, very nice.

Stunning, all 3. How did you balance the direct sunlight with the rest of the frame in #3?

Looks like a productive morning photography there David. Well I'm going to be different as I love No.2, fab colours and nicely processed.

I'm going to be different too (?) in that I prefer number two. One and three are also very good but for me a little foreground light would have helped number one, but hey we can't have everything when we at the mercy of the sun gods!

I agree with Nick Owen, the third shot - one me over ! you did a great job ! thank you for sharing ;)

Wonderland needs to be in your house at 36x24 at least :banana:

You think? The file is certainly big enough at 1.8gb :D Not sure I have anywhere to put it though.

I'd have to pick Wonderland as the stand out image here. Nowt wrong with the other 2, but 3 is very, very nice.

Thanks Ken.

Stunning, all 3. How did you balance the direct sunlight with the rest of the frame in #3?

Hiya mate, thanks very much. I had a 2 stop soft edge grad on but under exposed the image in an attempt to hold it a little more. Some PP to work on the levels a bit and all is good.

Very nice David - I was stood at the top of Winnats Pass hoping for the inversion to give just a bit more :)

I saw a few people wandering along the top as I drove back down, perhaps you were one of them? We'll eventually meet... One day :LOL:

Did you manage to get anything you like?

Number 3 is a stand out shot of a trio of excellent images. Good work that man!

Cheers Peter.

Looks like a productive morning photography there David. Well I'm going to be different as I love No.2, fab colours and nicely processed.

It wasn't too bad Paul. I didn't venture far as I'm usually pushed for time on a Saturday so just stayed near the summit but had a wander down the hill. I managed to stay upright for most of it! The processing is very subtle on this one, it's not too far off the SOOC image.

I'm going to be different too (?) in that I prefer number two. One and three are also very good but for me a little foreground light would have helped number one, but hey we can't have everything when we at the mercy of the sun gods!

Thanks mate. #1 was taken about 30 minutes before sunrise so it was pretty dark. I could have lifted it a bit in PP I guess but tried to keep it looking natural. I too like #2, it's very subtle and less 'in ya face'.

I agree with Nick Owen, the third shot - one me over ! you did a great job ! thank you for sharing ;)

Thanks for stopping by Daniel, glad you liked them.

Very nice set mate. Lovely tones in all of them but number 2 edges it for me, particularly like the subtlety in it, you can feel the chill almost, and it holds promise of a day to come :)

Great set of images Sir, liking all of these very much with #3 being the stand out shot for me.(y)

George.

Yep - definitely. The fact that you might not have anywhere to put it is neither here nor there :D

Haha, not sure the missus would go for it. Should i just do it anyway? :D

Very nice set mate. Lovely tones in all of them but number 2 edges it for me, particularly like the subtlety in it, you can feel the chill almost, and it holds promise of a day to come :)

Cheers Paul, i particularly enjoyed looking at that one on the monitor when i got home.

Got to be the second shot

Thanks Steve.

I am still in the editing and cursing phase :) I had a couple of nice light trail shots that I managed to get out of focus :runaway:

There is at least one shot in there - I just need to find it :)

Well i look forward to seeing it mate.

Excellent set David, all are very good, cant pick between them.

Cheers Neil. Me neither tbh.

Great set of images Sir, liking all of these very much with #3 being the stand out shot for me.(y)

George.

Thanks George, number 3 made explore today which is a bit of a surprise!

Bloomin heckers. Now thats showing me how it's done.
As you know I really like the selfies you keep creating in these landscapes and this one is a cracker.

Gaz

ps: I reckon I could visit there in under an hour too.Doing it is another matter ! :)

And that, right there, is the best one with the curve of the land pointing you towards the direction of the rising sun. Lovely.

I'd perhaps suggest a slight lift but its a preference thing more than anything.

Haha, thanks Steve. I think I prefer #2 to this one but I thought they fitted together well in the set. It takes the sun a while to get over the horizon so the valley was still quite dark. I've tried to keep it as natural as possible but perhaps it would be better with a slight lift to bring out more detail below?

Bloomin heckers. Now thats showing me how it's done.
As you know I really like the selfies you keep creating in these landscapes and this one is a cracker.

Gaz

ps: I reckon I could visit there in under an hour too.Doing it is another matter ! :)

Hahaha, cheers Gaz. If you did fancy one morning then just give us a shout. A Sunday would be better as I have more time but Saturday is just about doable as the sunrise continues to happen earlier but would need to be leaving for 8ish.

This location is immensely popular as it's a doddle to get to and is about 5 minutes from the car :LOL: the view is a nice one though, especially with a bit of magical light.

Sunrise from the top of Mam Tor? Don't you have a bed to be tucked up in? That is dedication. :eek:

I am going to argue the toss and put my vote on #1. I like the 'borrowed' light on the stones. They could have been balanced for symmetry a little, but they give the foreground plenty of interest.

Please - what is 'Explore'? I don't do all this internet stuff.

Haha, thanks Steve. I think I prefer #2 to this one but I thought they fitted together well in the set. It takes the sun a while to get over the horizon so the valley was still quite dark. I've tried to keep it as natural as possible but perhaps it would be better with a slight lift to bring out more detail below?

Hahaha, cheers Gaz. If you did fancy one morning then just give us a shout. A Sunday would be better as I have more time but Saturday is just about doable as the sunrise continues to happen earlier but would need to be leaving for 8ish.

This location is immensely popular as it's a doddle to get to and is about 5 minutes from the car :LOL: the view is a nice one though, especially with a bit of magical light.
I have have been many moons ago without a camera, saw all the gliders in the air. Thats a kind offer fella. Yes I think thats what I need to get out and about, make the mistakes and learn to see the light.
Sundays would be good for me too and thats not too early.

Gaz

It would be just the smallest of lifts, nothing to alter the mood just to bring out the detail that little bit more.

Sunrise from the top of Mam Tor? Don't you have a bed to be tucked up in? That is dedication. :eek:

I am going to argue the toss and put my vote on #1. I like the 'borrowed' light on the stones. They could have been balanced for symmetry a little, but they give the foreground plenty of interest.

Please - what is 'Explore'? I don't do all this internet stuff.

Cheers mate, it's not too much dedication really, alarm call at 4.30am, arrive at 5.30am, walk for 5 minutes and shoot. I'm glad #1 has a vote as I quite liked the composition. It's not too fancy but I felt it worked quite well as the grass on the right balanced the stones out a little. The pre dawn glow was very nice too.

Explore is just a load of nonsense on Flickr really but you get a lot people viewing it and a few new followers too. Like I say, just a load of nonsense really.

I have have been many moons ago without a camera, saw all the gliders in the air. Thats a kind offer fella. Yes I think thats what I need to get out and about, make the mistakes and learn to see the light.
Sundays would be good for me too and thats not too early.

Gaz

If the evening light is good then the gliders can often add something to your pic, especially if they're in the right spot as they add a sense of scale. If you ever did fancy a wander then give us a bell on here, I'm usually up and about early so sunrise isn't an issue for me.

It would be just the smallest of lifts, nothing to alter the mood just to bring out the detail that little bit more.

Thanks Steve, I will give it a try next time on the computer.

Cheers.

Very nice those, I'd pick #3 too as my fav. Considering this isn't too far for me I'm ashamed I've never been up there, I need to do more landscapes as I do enjoy them and this has given me the impetus to get up there

Thanks mate. So glad you feel inspired by my work. In all honesty though, it was harder to take a bad shot than a good one. :LOL:

If the evening light is good then the gliders can often add something to your pic
Thanks Dave. I did wonder why you don't see many images of the gliders at this destination, maybe people prefer the morning light.
Might have a ride up in the evening at some point too as it's lighter later.

Gaz

While we all gravitate to No3 which I must say is beautiful, I have to say No1 is a cracker too! Love the lead in to the peak in the middle ground and the stark contrast of the trig point. The wet flags picking up the highlights curving around really works well.
Great set Dave!

Thanks Dave. I did wonder why you don't see many images of the gliders at this destination, maybe people prefer the morning light.
Might have a ride up in the evening at some point too as it's lighter later.

Gaz

I think it's because to photograph them you would probably shoot towards them looking back at the hills which aren't actually that scenic. I'm sure you could make a shot of some sort if you thought about it and studied them a little.

While we all gravitate to No3 which I must say is beautiful, I have to say No1 is a cracker too! Love the lead in to the peak in the middle ground and the stark contrast of the trig point. The wet flags picking up the highlights curving around really works well.
Great set Dave!

Thanks Steve, very much appreciate your thoughts and comments. I have a frame with another tog walking through it and it's quite ghostly. I may take another look...

Thanks.

Back