Backdrop advice and recommendations

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I have been asked to shoot a kids party in January, after the host seeing some of childrens portraits.

The advice i am after is mainly around a backdrop to use for this. I have a pop out grey/black background which is perfect for headshots, but ideally we are looking at doing full body shoots, almost like a fashion shoot.

I am looking at stands and paper rolls. 7ft x 33ft paper rolls.

Can anyone reccomend where to buy paper - currently looking at kate backdrops?
Can anyone reccomend a heavy duty paper stand that does not cost the earth?
And finally, would you advise to just use one colour, or would swap rolls mid shoot? if so which colours would you suggest for an all round shoot? white?

Anything else that i might not be thinking about, advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

I used to use two stands and a top bar with a black cloth background, less hassle than paper and easier to carry around, in fact I might still have it.

I used to use two stands and a top bar with a black cloth background, less hassle than paper and easier to carry around, in fact I might still have it.
what kind of stands did you use? was the cloth long enough to roll out for people to stand on too?

everything i look at is either extremely expensive, or almost see through cloth. so have been advised paper is better

I went to a couple of local stores, furniture repair, curtain makers etc and bought some 'end of roll' fabric. It needs to be fairly thick and dense fabric to avoid the see through look using flash. I'll have a look for the stands etc and get back to you, they are not too tall as it was just for kids.

I went to a couple of local stores, furniture repair, curtain makers etc and bought some 'end of roll' fabric. It needs to be fairly thick and dense fabric to avoid the see through look using flash. I'll have a look for the stands etc and get back to you, they are not too tall as it was just for kids.
Thank you. Appreciate it

I had a look today in the garage. It's about 2m high and 2m wide. Ignore the old blanket on the top.

IMG_2485.JPGIMG_2486.JPGIMG_2487.JPGIMG_2488.JPG

Last edited:
did you just make this using tripods? or did you buy this specific?

I find children tend to rip paper backgrounds unless you have a long tail on the floor and keep them at the front, small children are a PITA for this. My personal preference is a cloth background or the lastolight light up one (cant remember the name) thats the one I use mostly when I do studio shots, which isnt often these days.... thankfully...

did you just make this using tripods? or did you buy this specific?
This was bought as a kit, I think it was about £25-£30 at the time. I have two stronger light stands that I've used with longer top pole but never used either of them for a while as I have a Lastolite panoramic background which is perfect for all setups, singles and groups.

Just a thought:

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick but are you sure the host is after pictures that are taken against a fancy backdrop at a kids party? They may have noticed the quality of your pictures and thought you'd be the best person to catch the mood rather than somewhat formal photographs. Kids attending a party want cake and jelly and a lot of messing about, not standing against a piece of cloth to get a photograph taken; that way lies ennui and thus poor behaviour. If the host has asked for this then just ignore my remarks, otherwise, I might just check exactly what is required.

Last edited:
If you need to change colours on a background, can you just use a white background and light it with coloured gels over the light source?

I'm about to list a support like the one shown above by admirable plus a grey and a brown cloth backdrop in the For Sale section if you're interested..... none of it has ever been used.... it's all part of the photography GAS syndrome! :oops: :$

thanks for all the advice. Yes the host wants a "fashion shoot" style birthday, apparently its all the range with girls 11-15. So costume changes, make up, and mad eto feel like they are being shot for a magazine. I figured a white paper background, with gels to swith it up depending on what they are wearing. Ive always doen headhshots, or waist up, so needed the full length paper roll, but i take your note about kids ripping it.

one last question now i am looking at paper, would 1.4m width be ok for this? or do i need the 2.2m/2.7m?

thanks again all - can you tell i am dreadign this haha

I'm about to list a support like the one shown above by admirable plus a grey and a brown cloth backdrop in the For Sale section if you're interested..... none of it has ever been used.... it's all part of the photography GAS syndrome! :oops: :$
let me know when you list it, and i will take a look. Been scouring FB marketplace for anything that will get me through this

let me know when you list it, and i will take a look. Been scouring FB marketplace for anything that will get me through this
I'll put it on this evening..... I've got the few pictures but just heading out again now for an hour......

Back