1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NickTB

NickTB

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hello all,

I posted this in talk equipment and realised it was probably in the wrong place, so here we are again

As above, I'm looking for a portable backdrop and train as I'm starting to get more and more requests for pet photography, and my current set up shows the break where the backdrop meets the floor. If it's a person on a chair or a headshot it's not so bad, but being (mainly) dogs, I'm shooting from floor level.

Looking around, I have seen a number of cheap muslin backdrops and some expensive vinyl and canvas ones.

I’m now being told paper would do the job too but Isn't wipe clean obviously.

Any advice would be welcomed

TIA,
    Nick

2. Phrasemaker

Phrasemaker

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think in your situation I'd be looking at the pop out backdrops and trains which are available. Mostly for the convenience, light weight and durability. I bought stands and vinyl roll backdrops which are great though a right pain to lug around especially once they get to two meters wide.

Most of the time I'm now taking only pop out backdrops out as I managed to find a few which once erected have no issues whatsoever with creases, I can simply suspend using a single lighting stand with a clamp head fitted and use the loop which all mine have with a cord to tie the background to the bottom of the stand to keep it static. My paper and vinyl backgrounds are now all destined for my soon to be ready studio space at home where they will come into their own.

Regards

Tim

NickTB likes this.
  3. NickTB

NickTB

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Tim.

Any recommendations? It’s a minefield out there when it comes to combination backdrops and trains, plus colours seem a bit limited to black white or green?

I do have a paper backdrop which I was going to use combined with stands, but as you rightly point out it’s a pain lugging it all around.

Phrasemaker likes this.
  4. Phrasemaker

Phrasemaker

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Now there's the problem as you rightly point out they are limited colour wise, what colour are you after? I have considered getting a white set and having a play with some aerosol fabric dye.

Also depends on what trickery you're capable of in post, the grey backdrops offer a heap of scope for manipulation. Each of my pop outs have come from different manufacturers as I spent time reading the experiences of others before dropping the cash.

I have one from Lencarta and a couple of pixapro pop outs, they weren't the cheapest ones they do but having used them I'm perfectly happy with the quality and how they look in an image.

I guess with the benefit of some additional pondering that if you're after more colour choices fabric on a roll is going to give you more options and have good durability.

NickTB likes this.
  5. teejay73

teejay73

Name:
    Terry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I know pixapro sell these ones, but only black and white, green or blue. The problem I forsee is that being mainly a pet shooter, you will need something vinyl, and all the ones I have found are Muslin. I am personally looking for something that is
    crease free or as good as, as I am in need of something more portable too.

NickTB likes this.
  6. NickTB

NickTB

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I’m thinking I may have to buckle and use paper which I’ll have to dispose of as and when it becomes grubby. Vinyl would be better for my uses but it’s expensive and not that portable.
    I mainly like the effect a mottled grey backdrop gives you, but pet photography throws up so many different colours and combinations I think I need to be flexible in my approach